New (To Me) Lighting My AK110 Stoker

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 6:42 pm

So I've tried several ways to light my stoker using Coal Mice and Cowboy Hardwood Briquets as mentioned many times on the forum. The coal mice worked best, but only about 50% of the time...Never could get the Cowboy Briquets to work...The bag is still sitting in the corner...

So this winter I decided to try something different. I welded up something that I thought would work along with using my Modified (Small Nozzle) Harbor Freight Brush Burner....Only took a few minutes for it to ignite and worked first time out of the gate....I made the "Dam" out of 1/4" x 2" flat bar and 1/2" rod. So should hold up for many years...The open end and holes in the side of the tunnel let flames come out on all sides for a wider burn when it ignites...The metal is heavy enough that I closed the door and left it in place until ash formed right behind the "Dam" then took it out with little to no damage...The rod sits on the ledge right behind the door allowing it to close. Have to say, this was the easiest I ever started my AK110....Even with Zero Feed rate and a level grate of coal...

If this has already been done, can't say as I've ever come across anything similar. So Hope this helps with anyone wanting to try something different.

Badog

Post by Badog » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 11:20 am

I had an electric charcoal starter for years and a coal stove for years. One day I though how about using it to start the coal stove with charcoal and rice coal mixed? Worked great and I have been doing it ever since. No lighter fluid or torches. Just plug it in. Wait 10-15 minute. Pull the starter out, turn everything on, open second beer and enjoy.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 20, 2021 4:38 pm

Cool idea.
coal starter bags or homemade from charcoal, shredded paper and some coal usually work fine for me, usually never had a problem starting it. make sure your combustion blower is running , it heats it up much faster from underneath. make sure all the holes are clean on the grate too.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”