thermostat location

chefiam1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 50-93

Post by chefiam1 » Sun. Oct. 03, 2021 11:07 am

newbie here, just bought a stoker koker stove and put it in my living area downstairs.
and tied the plenum into upstairs duct work both areas are about 1200 sq ft. should i put the stat upstairs
or downstairs? also thinking of installing a 6"round starter collar with a damper off the plenum to heat downstairs?all input welcomed.

Chef

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Oct. 03, 2021 11:32 am

Lot of good questions asked. I have my Keystoker 90 downstairs in the family room with a coaltrol and plumbed into a duct to the living area upstairs. My home is a ranch. The coaltrol thermostat is in the family room with the stove. The plenum is controlled by the upstairs thermostat, and is not assisted with any other source of heat when the coal stove is burning. The blower for the plenum is controlled by a Relay in a Box, and is run of the thermostat cool contacts or air conditioning circuit. The contacts close on a rise in temp with a delta t of .75 degrees, so the rise turns off the relay in a box contatcs and the fan turns off. Reverse logic so to speak. This works really well because the upstairs set temps can be maintained quite well provided you are not expecting wide temperature swings. The makeup time for wide temperature swings is excessive because the duct temps are anywhere from 140 to maybe 200 at the stove.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”