New here

Jcsedrn2
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Legacy Super Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Jcsedrn2 » Sat. Sep. 25, 2021 2:25 pm

Just installed legacy super mag. Fired it up for a test run. Everything seemed to work fine. However fire burned out after a couple hours. Feeder and distribution fan didn’t seem to be running. Combustion fan did. Set stove to test mode everything works. Switch to any other setting only combustion fan runs. Any help on what issue could be would be appreciated.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Sep. 26, 2021 10:56 am

Welcome to the Forum.

Is this one New? Used?
Does it pusher push coal?
What are your controls set at?

-Don

Jcsedrn2

Post by Jcsedrn2 » Sun. Sep. 26, 2021 12:09 pm

It is used. It will push coal in test mode. When I first got it last spring and cleaned it up good I plugged it in to see if it worked and it blew the fuse. I’m wondering if I damaged the board. I had it fired running feed rate of two, stove temp high, and the temp dial at like 2.5. Didn’t push any coal and when stove seemed hot distribution fan never came on. All three came on in test mode. When trying to run it only light that came on was the combustion fan light.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Sep. 26, 2021 2:23 pm

Do you have a thermostat connected? It won't know that there is a heat call without that.

You can just out a jumper across the thermostat terminals and run it that way.

-Don

Jcsedrn2

Post by Jcsedrn2 » Sun. Sep. 26, 2021 3:13 pm

I don’t have the thermostat line hooked up but however this doesn’t explain the feeder not running does it? It’s set to read the stove temp now. But distribution fan didn’t kick in at all. Does this only work in the thermostat setting? And will it not feed coal if it’s not calling for heat? I thought they would be independent to keep a fire going?

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Sep. 26, 2021 4:55 pm

It's been a long time since I had a Mag Stoker. If I remember correctly,,,

If you don't have a call for heat, the stove just runs on it's timer. If you don't have the timer set to keep the fire from going out, the fire will go out.

-Don

emadison1408

Post by emadison1408 » Wed. Nov. 17, 2021 9:59 pm

I just installed a tri burner self feed and can seem to get it to light I tried a kindling fire many different kind of ways and match light different ways I bought a map torch tried that it gets a little flame then goes out and I have mice ordered but I don’t wanna use them if it’s not gonna light cleaned the blower me and my husband are at a loss what is wrong with this thing btw we got our rice coal at tractor supply

Coniglio
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Blaschek nut
Other Heating: electric baseboard backup from when I heated with wood

Post by Coniglio » Sun. Dec. 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Welcome to our forum.

Jcsedrn2

Post by Jcsedrn2 » Tue. Jan. 04, 2022 5:02 pm

So we have got our first cold snap and I’m now struggling to keep house warm. 16° last night and I came home to main floor only being 66°. Stove is in partial finished basement. I use central air circulation fan to suck warm basement air to main floor. Seemed to work well with warmer temperatures outside now it’s not. I have basement door open now with fan blowing air upstairs. Three 4x12 floor vents cut in bedroom floors. Settings on stove are feed adjuster 1, room temp high, set halfway between 70° and 75°. House is 70° outside temp 32° Was gonna add photo of control panel for reference but can’t figure out how. 1450sqft ranch on full basement.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Jan. 04, 2022 9:06 pm

Use fan to blow cold air down basement stairs. Can't help with the stoker part.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Jan. 04, 2022 9:08 pm

Give more information. Chimney vent, power vent? Barometer? Draft setting?

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Jan. 04, 2022 9:13 pm

Since no one with the stoves the people are running are weighing in, I will suggest that both of them get in touch with the manufacturers of your stoves. This is not rocket science but there is a learning curve and the people that make them know what you need to do. There are many in here that can fix your problem, but so can the people that make your stoves.

lgilkes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman DVC, Keystoker Koker, EFM-AF, EFM-520 Boiler

Post by lgilkes » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 12:17 am

Keep the unit in test mode till you have a fire, then place in stove mode after you have a large fire.

IT Takes a while to light but once lit, the unit should be fine , keep in stove mode.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”