Need Info on Old Tri-Burner Dual Fuel

lewglick

Post by lewglick » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 2:03 pm

This stove was in the house we bought 3 years ago. We have been burning oil and now want to use coal. I need some help in the use of burning coal in this unit. I have done extensive research and have come up with nothing. Any help or suggestions where to look are appreciated.
Thanks!!
Lew

Attachments

stove1.jpg
.JPG | 61.9KB | stove1.jpg
stove2.jpg
.JPG | 54.4KB | stove2.jpg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 2:21 pm

Actually it is a boiler, not a stove. :) I always look in the rafters, it seems that is where you usually find the heating appliance books in the basement

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 3:07 pm

Look on the Boiler should be some kind of MFG plate with ratings and such. Ask the oil burner service co or look for a permit sticker for who installed it.

lewglick

Post by lewglick » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Thanks for the correction about it being a boiler not a stove...no info anywhere in the house and unable to see any manuf plates. The folks who deliver my oil recommended a service person. He knows how to service the unit but no experience with it.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 6:46 pm

The service person should know the MFG 'cause their going to need parts eventually.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Looks like a Keystoker.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 7:21 pm

I am going to say Tri Burner. Tri Burner was a company in Orwigsburg, PA. They were the ones who made the Tri Burner stoker mechanism used in some stoker stoves. The company is out of business and I think Reading owns the rights to make the Tri Burner stoker that they use in their stoves. I did not know that Tri-Burner ever made boilers but when it says Tri Burner in big letters across it I would have to guess that is who made it. Keystoker is in Schuylkill Haven, Yellow Flame was in Orwigsburg as was Tri Burner. They all look a little bit alike. Look on the map and see how close Schuylkill Haven is to Orwigsburg. I would guess there may have been a little bit of cross pollination between the companies.

That's my take on it. Good luck!

Does it still work?

lewglick

Post by lewglick » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 8:03 pm

The unit works fine...but I have only used it with oil. At some point someone used coal with it because the hopper still has rice coal in it. My main question is how to use it with coal...how to light it, keep it burning, etc...

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Aug. 11, 2008 11:50 pm

Good question, I know one thing. The EFM's and the keystokers either have a protective plate or the oil gun is removable. So that would be your first step.

I changed the title so you'll hopefully get some responses from people that are familiar with it.

If you take some more detailed larger pictures you'll get some better advice.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Aug. 12, 2008 9:41 am

I believe what you have is a yellow flame stoker in a unit that was manufactured by Tri-Burner. Having said that you will need to get the coal and ash out of there ASAP and clean the entire unit right away to prevent any more corrosion than has already happend. Where are you located? I might be able to recommend someone or come by and take a look. :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”