Silica Beads to Control Moisture During Off Season

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Wed. Jun. 02, 2021 10:50 am

I have had the Leisure Line AK110 for 4 seasons now. Awesome Furnace BTW! I have tried several methods to keep the moisture and corrosion from forming inside the furnace in the off season....Gun Safe Heater, Blaster Corrosion Stop, Etc...Methods which I found here on the forum. Nothing has seemed to work too well. When I closed it down this spring, I decided to try something different. Control Moisture with Silica Beads. I did a search on Silica Beads and didn't get any returns, so thought I would share. So far so good. The beads in the smaller bags I got off Amazon and the crystal is supposed to turn dark color when saturated. As you can see, the results are about 6 weeks in, just a few of the beads are turning dark. The larger bags of beads I got from work from an overseas machine shipment. A good "Free" source for the beads if you have access to them....The inside of the furnace is as dry as the day I turned it off and no corrosion yet. BTW, I did block the exhaust with an old rag to help eliminate that source of moisture....

Anyway, thought I would share. It seems to be working very well for me and glad I've found something to help protect my investment.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jun. 05, 2021 10:17 am

Thanks for sharing! 😄

It’s early June now...be interested to see what ya got by late August.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Jun. 05, 2021 12:28 pm

The orange silica that comes with electronic cabinets and shoes. Also can buy a can of the stuff. Works pretty good. When it turns red in color. Put on baking sheet and stick in oven to dry. Never goes bad.

2biz
Other Heating: Leisure Line AK-110, Propane logs, Propane Ceramic 3 Burner Heater

Post by 2biz » Tue. Jun. 08, 2021 11:57 am

Yea, forgot to mention the Amazon ad said the beads can be regenerated by placing in direct sunlight once they've become saturated. I'm sure the baking sheet/oven method works great too.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jun. 08, 2021 12:07 pm

I would vote for disconnecting the stove pipe completely as opposed to stuffing the rag in it. Then slip a plastic shopping bag over end on chimney side held tight with a couple wraps of tape perhaps.

Nobody gets lucky or gets a free pass when it comes to steel corrosion from moist air and fly ash acids.

These stove last so much longer/better with just a little forethought! 😊

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jun. 10, 2021 10:33 am

You can buy much larger bags of dessicant if needed. Uline is a good source for the larger packs.

I used to buy 4oz packs by the pallet for a pharma manufacturing plant I worked in. They work very well and can be "restored" by baking in an oven.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Jun. 11, 2021 8:13 pm

Can’t you just let air flow through the stove and out the chimney ? That’s what I do, never a problem.

2biz

Post by 2biz » Mon. Jun. 21, 2021 7:09 pm

grumpy wrote:
Fri. Jun. 11, 2021 8:13 pm
Can’t you just let air flow through the stove and out the chimney ? That’s what I do, never a problem.
I've never tried that before. Have always had trouble with moisture/corrosion even though my garage is insulated and dry. This seems to be working ok...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”