Coal Stoker

danzig

Post by danzig » Thu. Aug. 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi, I have question about the VanWert stoker boiler. The Van Wert line is going to be manufactured again. They will be made in upstate NY. Is this unit (chain drive)a big problem? Is it hard to get the unit started regulate the feed rate and heat output? From a simplicty stand point is this unit as good as the gear and Ratchet (EFM)unit? I want to put this unit outside in my work shop to heat my house and garage. How hard is it to set up the coal bin and auger assemly? I know that the pitch and coal delivery are the main trouble areas involving the stoker feed issues. I know that this unit burns buckwheat coal can it burn rice also?

1termite
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm

Post by 1termite » Thu. Aug. 07, 2008 6:12 pm

i know quite a few people that run them and they like them. no different to start than my efm. I have not heard anyone having a problem with the chain over the gears, they both have shear pins. set up would be no different but for the feed side, efm can be either side, van wert was one or the other, you just bought the one you wanted. the nice thing about buckwheat is that there is no shortage.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Thu. Aug. 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Richard can confirm this, but I believe the feed rates are determined by changing sprocket and chain and playing a guessing game, where the efm can be adjusted in seconds and changed to a new setting in seconds.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 07, 2008 7:07 pm

danzig wrote:Hi, I have question about the VanWert stoker boiler. The Van Wert line is going to be manufactured again. They will be made in upstate NY. Is this unit (chain drive)a big problem? Is it hard to get the unit started regulate the feed rate and heat output? From a simplicty stand point is this unit as good as the gear and Ratchet (EFM)unit? I want to put this unit outside in my work shop to heat my house and garage. How hard is it to set up the coal bin and auger assemly? I know that the pitch and coal delivery are the main trouble areas involving the stoker feed issues. I know that this unit burns buckwheat coal can it burn rice also?
Hello, I live in Upstate NY and I'm curious where the boilers are going to be made?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Aug. 08, 2008 2:46 pm

As far as I know you'd have to change the pulley on the motor, these pictures on not so great but its all I have at the moment:
The chain(s) are not an issue as far as maintenance goes if that is what you are getting at. They turn so slowly and get so little use they'll probably last a thousand years. As far as regulating it I'd imagine the stock installation should be the optimal setting for the amount of air and feed rate. There is and adjustment for the air (see the red in the lower left of second picture).

As far as the assembly goes you can see on this unit you get great access to the worm.

Rice shouldn't be an issue but I don't believe we have ever used. They are made to burn buck..

danzig

Post by danzig » Fri. Aug. 08, 2008 4:22 pm

thank you for the info. Also what is your coal cribb like? What is the specs for the crib and coal delivery? does it have to be covered.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”