Alaska Channing coal sizing

werwin1036
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska

Post by werwin1036 » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi all new here have a question was hoping someone could help me out. I'll try to give as much info as i can from what else i read on here it may or may not help but it can't hurt.
I have an Alaska Channing hot air stove bought new in 2000 never had any real problems with it and still don't. It's in the basement of a ranch house with a full chimney no power vents i do have a heat reclaimer on the stove pipe below the barometric damper. other then that not much else to say about the set up.
With the snow we got i do not have access to my coal bin as i am out of my usual rice coal. I do have access to buckwheat coal i can get to and get in my stove easy.
In case you haven't figured it out my question is can i use buck in place of the rice? will i need to change anything or is this a don't mess with something that's working?
My feed is the half moon that allows the coal to gravity feed not sure if i got the picture posting down or not but i'll see what i can do. but anyway has anyone burned buck in their Alaska?? Thank you

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 4:51 am

Per their website, the Channing III is rice size only.

Attachments

Screenshot_20210221-044959.png
.PNG | 324.1KB | Screenshot_20210221-044959.png

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 7:14 am

Most 'stoker' type stoves take RICE size coal, some can go up to buckwheat size or a mix of both depending on the stove itself and how it feeds.

Heat reclaimers don't do much on most coal stoves, much lower exhaust temps than a wood stove.
most people don't use them, the exhaust usually isn't as hot wood stoves that they are made for, but it's working, great!

Just get a draft gauge to set your baro correctly to optimize your draft and not loose too much heat up your chimney.

werwin1036
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska

Post by werwin1036 » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 10:47 am

Thank you both.
WNY the only reason i said about the heat reclaimer is i was told it could effect your draft with the cooling of the pipe.
I was told by a friend who is experienced with all types of coal stoves just not mine lol that it should work fine but i may have to adjust my feed as buck makes more heat and in order for it to burn completely i should slow the feed.
Personally i'd like to try it but don't know what it draw back would be.
I can handle it going out or not getting the same BTU's out of it or even some unburnt coal it's the safety of it that has me worried like burning back and catching the hopper on fire or CO limits (i do have a detector) i do have a family and pets in here. and being Sunday i won't be around tomorrow to keep an eye on it.
But on the other hand if it works and i get at least the same BTU's out of it and use less coal isn't that a win?
Thanks again

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 10:52 am

For keystoker, you increase the feed for buck. More air space equals less weight so you end up burning the same amount even though you increased the feed rate. I burn buck in mine... If you are running a direct vent, I would not try buck. Cannot burn buck in a keystoker with a DV... Definitely causes hopper fires.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Just make sure you monitor your draft and adjust things accordingly. I have the draft gauges hooked up all the time on my LL Hyfire and Keystoker (Direct vent) and can tell when something isn't right or needs cleaned or adjusted when the draft starts getting low. I have been running the keystoker for over 15 years and 12 with my LL Hyfire without any issues. Never had a hopper fire, did smell a little sulpher at times, when the draft would get a little low and/or pipes needed cleaned out.
I do have 4 CO detectors through out the house. 1 by each stove and one on each floor.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 9:31 pm

If you have a half moon puck feeder you either have a Channing II or a Channing III. Both of those stoves are designed to only burn rice coal. If you had a Channing 1 with a carpet feeder you could burn buck. The carpet just slides back and forth and thier isn’t clearance issues. The larger buck coal gets lodged between the puck and the base Causing the 2&3 models motors

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 9:43 pm

I burned buck in a Channing III and had no problems.

Mike

CoalKracker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 460
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston Stove Co. Magnet No.2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice (reading coal co)

Post by CoalKracker » Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 11:12 am

Alaska recommends rice coal only for the paddle feed models. If you use a larger size you run the risk of gasses escaping through the hopper, a hopper fire, and a broken gear box. People have done it without a problem but others have tried it and had one or more of the problems that i listed.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”