any thoughts, maybe control or air flow problem

Paul k
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska model 140
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Paul k » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 1:38 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm about ready to shut down the stove and clean the hopper half moon & grease a fitting. A few weeks or month ago my fire almost died, so I quick turned up the temp past 5, after it lit back up, I turned it back down. I think I might of had something stuck in the feed paddle. After that it seemed to work again, but it has been burning unevenly, so I decided to empty the hopper and shut her down. During shutdown it started burning evenly again (as seen in picture below)....

Anyways, I want to be warm, I hear you guys melting paint and getting burned out of your home. Im wondering if I have a problem with my combustion air fan or the controller is messed up. I can only turn mine to 2 before lit coal starts falling into the ash pan. My minimum that I can turn it to is just above .5, to keep the stove running and it wont burn out. (think last year i had it up to 3)

I clean the exhaust pipes and power vent monthly. During last shut down, I removed the combustion fan and cleaned under the grate through the little hole with the vacuum cleaner. I also took a dart and cleaned the grate holes, freed them from stuck coal. Notice the picture of the combustion fan, it seems dirty and if I put my hand by it I can feel a little air blowing on my hand (not sure if thats normal). I cleaned that plate during last shut down, but I don't remember if it was that dirty.

Anyways, ill grab another beer, and see if someone has anything for me to try while I have it shut down for a few hours. Or at least tell me im doing something wrong or right...

Thanks,
Paul K

Attachments

image0 (1).jpeg
.JPEG | 309.7KB | image0 (1).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg
.JPEG | 441.3KB | image1 (1).jpeg
image2.jpeg
.JPEG | 527KB | image2.jpeg

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Have you ever cleaned the fan blades? The leading edge can get packed with dust/dirt and you'll lose up to 50% of your combustion air flow. I use a small brass bristle brush on my Keystoker's fan.

Paul k

Post by Paul k » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 2:08 pm

A few months ago, I replaced the plastic squirrel cage fan. Last season 1/4 of it melted due to power going out (why the :x did they make that fan plastic is beyond me). ill definitely, clean it when it is shut down.

Aehenc

Post by Aehenc » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 3:08 pm

I periodically clean the fan with fins, preferably once every three months, but usually I look at the condition, I can even once every half a year

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 3:27 pm

A, finish fillin out your profile--I promise--nobody's gonna steal ya!! :)

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 6:59 am

The Channing 3 I have in my garage I got it from someone they called it a piece of junk cause it didn’t work well at all. It came with his house and worked good for the first year and not good at the end of the second. Anyway. I brought it home plugged it in and at max there was barely a breeze. Every fan blade was plugged. I don’t know how it was even blowing the air that it was. Cleaned all the blades with an old tooth brush and it works perfectly. I also replaced the gaskets. New strong back, tray and door gaskets.
Now, 5 years ago when I bought my Hitzer 30/95 for my house, it came with a brand new sealed in the box blower fan from Hitzer. Guy said the old fan rattles and make all kinds of noise. That fans blades were plugged also causing it be off balance. After I cleaned that fan it worked perfectly and didn’t rattle at all. 5 years later it’s still working fine and The new fan is still safely in the box.
Sometimes it’s the little things that make the biggest difference.

Paul k

Post by Paul k » Tue. May. 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Good idea, I’m shut down for the season now, so I will replace the gaskets and take the fans apart and oil them before the winter

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”