SouthCentral PA New Coal Stove Help

Mdawgpound91
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 10:27 am

So I am well aware that this forum is probably full of new guys wanting advice, being a part of an archery forum, I see these questions constantly but always love the help I see from guys who are always willing to answer that same question over and over! I hope to receive the same here.

I recently purchased a home that is about 1500 square feet. We are relying on a lovely oil furnace right now but have taken the first step in trying to end that by switching over to coal. We currently have a Leisure Line Pioneer that is in our unfinished basement which pushes a rate 90,000 BTU. I have a power vent to be put through the block wall in the basement. Our home is 2 stories and I am obviously worried that this is not enough stove for our home. Would insulating the basement allow me to keep the stove or should I make the jump up to the Leisure Line Pocono or Hyfire? I don't want to spend the extra money to jump up but if I have to, I will make it happen if I feel that this Pioneer is not enough stove.

I really have no idea how to do cold air returns or anything as I am a complete newbie. Our goal is to turn this new home into a smaller scale homestead so I know that switching to coal is something we really want to learn about and take full advantage of this form of heat!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 10:32 am

Welcome. 90,000 btus/hr should go a long ways heating your home, but the trick is to get the heat out of the basement and into the house.

If you already have an oil furnace, have you considered adding a coal furnace to the existing system?

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 10:42 am

These are things I don't know how to do or what that entails. I am open to any ideas that will allow me to get away from oil as much as humanly possible with the most efficiency. I would love to make this Pioneer work but don't know what that entails as far as getting the heat up two floors.

Side note, this Pioneer does have the coal trol thermostat if that is helpful information.

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Any other help on this?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 1:49 pm

By itself, the Pioneer will do a great job heating your basement, and a poor job heating the upstairs.

Cold air returns will help, but the real fix is to use the existing ductwork to distribute the heat. Be patient, someone familiar with hot air systems will chime in at some point.

Can you post a pict of your current furnace and ductwork?

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 2:06 pm

So my oil heat goes through radiators via hot water, we have no duct work since it is not forced air.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 2:13 pm

You said furnace and I thought hot air. You have a boiler, which is something I understand way better.

If you can post a picture of your current setup we will see what you can do with it.

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 2:16 pm

How do I attach photos? I tried clicking the little square that states insert image but all it does is leave me with a little img code on my text box

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 2:28 pm

In the full editor and preview section there is an attachments tab. In that tab, there is an add files button...

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks for the help! So I am not currently home but for the time being, the listing for my house had a picture with a bit of it showing. I will try to get a straight on photo in a bit!

Attachments

Photo.jpg
.JPG | 166.8KB | Photo.jpg

Scott in nwct
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ 671SU w/Efm S-15 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice anthracite lehigh
Other Heating: Peerless oil boiler

Post by Scott in nwct » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 5:09 pm

That’s a nice basement. Perfect for a stoker boiler! All the piping is already in place. Scott

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 5:31 pm

I have attached a photo of the boiler. As stated I literally know nothing about coal so please, in responses, don’t assume I know abbreviations and thank you guys a ton for any input!

Attachments

Mdawgpound91

Post by Mdawgpound91 » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 6:39 pm

Would also love options of what it would look like to just use my coal stove and what it would take to have heat reach my second floor. My plan at this point is to put the coal trol on my main floor

leward
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50-93 at camp
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 double door woodburner

Post by leward » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 8:34 pm

Easiest solution is to SELL the Leisure Line and find yourself a good used EFM/Keystoker/Axeman boiler. Place beside existing and plumb into your system. Could leave the oil boiler in place ( just disconnected in case you ever want to go back) I will presume you only have one chimney so both shouldn't be operational at same time

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 8:39 pm

Unless they make some sort of plenum or jacket to put on the Pioneer I don't see how you will be successful heating the house from the basement.

The best way to utilize the Pioneer is to put it on the first story of the house.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”