SouthCentral PA New Coal Stove Help

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 8:35 am

I have had an outdoor boiler for the last 11 years. It is a wood boiler that I converted to burn wood or coal a couple years ago. I also have HW baseboard heating. It works well, but... I am looking for an indoor boiler setup for when the OWB gives up. My woodcutting days are numbered and I will be going to coal exclusively. I have a hand fed coal stove in my basement now as well. It keeps the basement toasty and the floors above are always nice and warm. My basement is not finished so coal storage and dust is not really an issue. The idea of keeping the boiler's radiant heat in the house appeals to me. IMHO, do whatever you can to use the existing baseboard loop(s). I would not recommend a wood boiler in the house due to chimney creosote issues because of how the wood fire is throttled back for long periods of time once the water set point has been reached. I speak from experience, had one before the OWB. So, if planning on burning wood and coal, go to an outdoor unit; just coal, indoor. Good luck with whatever you do!

Paul k
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska model 140
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Paul k » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 6:00 pm

Congratulations on your new home! You say 2 stories, is it 2 stories plus basement & attic?

I'm going to chime in, just skimmed through the posts, but I love giving my option to anybody that listens. Grab a beer to decipher this...

I have a model 140 single feed Alaska coal stove, think the BTU is 85,000 or 90,000... anyways I have it in my unfinished basement, but I do have r13 insulation on the walls (no insulation on the floor going to first floor). My house is a 2 story not including a basement and attic. I keep my basement door open, and have a fan that blows air through that door. I also have two cut out floor registers with fans that are NOT hooked up to the stove (there just open to the basement). The stove heats all floors, however on 2nd floor it is a little cold, so at night in the rooms we do turn on electric heat. Probably could heat the whole house if I finished hooking up the floor registers. (my house is kinda like a barn, very open)

Growing up my aunt had a stove probably same BTU. She had a finished basement & first floor. They usually had there windows open in the winter.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”