Keystoker 90 newbie

bubbathehut1994
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat

Post by bubbathehut1994 » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 1:32 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 1:28 pm
You want between -.02 and -.03 draft over fire and use the barometric damper and air shutter on the combustion fan to dial it in. The procedure is in the manual...
I understand this. We have been through this. I don't have a way myself to measure this yet. It is something I need to do but dont have the means to do it yet.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 1:45 pm

bubbathehut1994 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 1:05 pm
If I permanently install a manometer, can I use it on the chimney before the baro? I dont really like feel like I'd enjoy the look of my unit looking like it is hooked up to a breathing tube
Here are pics of my install (with the old stove pipe). I have one in both places. I could use either and leave it hooked up. Both places allow me to confirm the draft is the same in both places. Over fire is the most important, which is why I leave it there, but stove pipe between baro and furnace is the next best place. Do what works for you ;)

Manometer Install

In all seriousness, a properly adjusted stove vs one running less efficiently can make up the price of a manometer pretty quickly. Plus the safety peace of mind.

Something to remember. The lower the draft, the less heat goes up the chimney as waste. But there are limits that effect safety and efficiency. That's where the specs in the manual comes in.

Similar to having a car properly tuned. It might still run, but for maximum output and smoothest operation (and fuel savings), you really want to have it dialed in.

There are lots of nice-to-haves, and some folks here have quite elaborate setups with supply and return temps, cameras, etc. But testing and setting with a manometer is a must. Borrow one if you have to. Having a permanent one is not a big dollar amount, but only you can decide if you can or even want to spend that money. We're tight with my health issues, and I have one.

When I bring a friend with a hand fired wood stove down and tell him to touch my stove pipe (after the baro) and then hit it with the IR thermometer, he's amazed at how low the temp is. Less heat up the chimney. Then he looks at the fire blasting. It's resulted in more than one convert. LOL.

Can you wait for a permanent installed manometer? Of course. Getting one now allows you to jump ahead. But we all have to move at the pace and price that suits us individually. If you do one later, many of us will still be here ;)

Once you get the new push bar installed, you might be satisfied with your burn and coal usage. Good. There will be time to dial it in later, too.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 1:48 pm

bubbathehut1994 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 1:32 pm
I understand this. We have been through this. I don't have a way myself to measure this yet. It is something I need to do but dont have the means to do it yet.
Looks like you're too far away for me to unhook and bring my manometer over to let you get setup....Know any furnace guys? They would have one. I'm sure Keystoker would have done that if you were there and asked.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 2:15 pm

bubbathehut1994 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 1:32 pm
No worries... I would trust Keystoker's opinion with regard to it being safely setup. My father in law has been running his efm 520 non-stop since 1964. He's never once used a manometer. I set it with my manometer last year and about a week later he made changes to feed and air. I gave up on fine tuning his.

If you do decide to get a manometer, you may not need to drill a hole in the door. You can drill into the side of the stove itself. You just need a small hole to stick your manometer probe into somewhere inside the fire box. You can tap it and plug it up, or put a piece of high temp tape over it if temporary or use a bulkhead connector if permanent...

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 3:53 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 2:15 pm
You can drill into the side of the stove itself.
Just don't try it with a BOILER. LOL

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 4:21 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 3:53 pm
Just don't try it with a BOILER. LOL
Yeah, that would not end well! Too funny...

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 8:44 pm

bubbathehut1994 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 12:35 pm
Update

Keystoker came to my house around lunch time and got me set up. They said my draft appears to be fine and not to touch it. The pusher bar had to be replaced. I run full buckwheat now but they reccomend that I switch to rice or at least mix it. I have mo issues with this but now when I mix it. I should only really have to adjust my feed rate then right? Dont touch the combustion shutter or baro right?
correct

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”