Rice coal burn

Dsantana
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker koker lite

Post by Dsantana » Sat. Jan. 30, 2021 10:21 am

Just purchased a koker lite to heat my home with. I purchased 2 tons of coal and placed the stove in my garage which is finished and insulated, I have been burning for three days now. I have noticed that the ash pan when removed has a lot of what seems unburnt coal not just ashes. Can I sift the ash and reuse the coal? My home doesn’t seem to be getting as warm as I thought it would would. I do not have it connected to any ductwork. The heat rises through my stairway into my upstairs.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Jan. 30, 2021 10:34 am

You will always have unburnt stuff in your coal, most if it didn't burn the first time, may not burn again. impurities in the coal. other stuff. may not be worth sifting thru, but you can try it if you want. All depends on the quality of coal, brand, etc... some burn better than others depending.

depending on how much you are heating and air flow/convection, house layout, etc... it takes some time to get it flowing correctly without any duct work. Depending on size/area you are trying to heat, might not be big enough. Duct work could help depending on location.

Where's your thermostat? Coaltrol (Setting ok min/max?) or standard thermostat. if it is satisfying it quickly (close proximity) you either should move it or turn it up more to get more heat out.

Draft (chimney or direct vent) and everything been checked and set correctly?

a lot of factors that can affect the heating capacity of it. make small changes and see what works.

Eab91276
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Propane Insert; Heat Pump

Post by Eab91276 » Sat. Jan. 30, 2021 9:09 pm

WNY is right. There are plenty of variables and you need to adjust things slowly to see if they work, especially if you are not moving air through ductwork. I’m running a koker connected to my first floor ductwork (I live in a split level home). You are probably going to have to get that garage area pretty warm to feel heat coming up the stairwell to the other living space. How hot are you running your stove? Was this purchased new or used? If used, was it cleaned thoroughly under the grate? The more info you give on your posts the easier for others to troubleshoot. Pictures are good too! Let us know if you make any adjustments and how it works. Good luck!

StanT

Post by StanT » Sun. Jan. 31, 2021 12:01 pm

I tried doing that, for how much coal you reclaim its not worth the effort.
at 200$ a ton, thats 10 cents a lb, I did not even get a 10 qt bucket full in 5 to 7 days.
Good luck, Stant
Ps. Its dusty also

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 31, 2021 12:43 pm

Need to make sure the feed and air are adjusted correctly.

Your stove probably does a good job heating the garage, bit without ductwork you will have a hard time moving the heat around.

Paul k
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska model 140
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Paul k » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 6:26 pm

as others have said, its not worth going through ashes to reclaim it.

If you open the door and look at the grate, are hot coals falling off the grate into the ash pan? If so, somehow you need to dial back your feeder (unfamiliar with your stove)

If you open the door and look at the grate and hot coals are NOT falling off the grate & it looks like ash is... then most likely those pieces in your ash bucket are NOT coal, or are poor quality coal.

As for your heat output.. is it warm in the garage and not in your house? Getting heat to travel can be difficult because you also need a path for cold air to return. My stove is in my basement, I hung a box fan by the stairs to help get the heat upstairs (still over a 10 degree difference between my basement and first floor). Fans are key to moving air!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”