Feeder stops pushing coal after 45mins-1hr.

Nycoal607
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska channing stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Nycoal607 » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 10:50 am

Ok so im new to this forum. From what I can tell we have about a 25 yr old Alaska Channing(not sore 1,2,3). We burn rice coal and this is first issue I have not been able to figure out. Coal stove was running great as usual, temps warmed up to roughly 40's so auto heat box was turned down lower. Wife text me at work and said was cold in the house. Told her to turn the dial up and shortly later got a text fire went out. Get home looks like when temps are too high and stove is on lowest and burns out towards top of grate. So I cleaned all ashes down got new coals in grate and started it my normal way, started right up. Ahcb(auto heat control box) was turned to 4 and took off got hot as heck quick as wasnt super cold out or inside lol. After about 45 minutes or so to an hour I checked the stove and it was out again. Re-lit the stove and stayed with the stove this time. Paddle seems to slow down and act as if kind of struggling around 30 minutes, by about 45 minutes the paddle stops feeding completely and coal continues to burn up towards top and go out. Can hear the ahcb switch power to turn motor on but nothing moves. Shut down and allow to cool down, bought new ahcb hooked it up everything went well. Got about an hour of run time\feed time then same thing happens the paddle stops completely and stove goes out. Oh I can also allow to cool down and attempt to light later on and paddle works fine for 30 to 45 minutes then stops with both old and new ahcb. I'm at a loss of why?! Please help! Electric company is loving me this month using freaking space heaters to alternatively heat!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 5:53 pm

a good cleaning and oiling of all motors is always good.
is it natural chimney or power vent? Draft been set correctly?
grate gaskets good? all holes in grate cleaned out good. ?
Sometimes the old rheostats have bad spots in them and may be intermittent, and need some good contact cleaner or a new one.
something could be jamming or fines under paddle/plate and overheating a motor or something?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 9:14 pm

There is a “High Temp Safety” that is built in to stop a stove from reaching an “un-safe” temp. This is not built into the ahc but rather is on the stove.
Cooling down stove is way to reset to allow stove to run until the next need of “high temp safety”.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”