would like to get a spare blower for my keystoker 90k

ad356

Post by ad356 » Tue. Jan. 26, 2021 4:26 pm

what are my options. should i get a stock replacement blower. the dealer quoted me $175 for a replacement blower and that seems steep. i saw 265 CFM blowers on amazon for $85. shall i get a 350 CFM blower, is there an advantage to doing this or is it just more noise? is there something better then a shaded pole motor? i do think $175 is kind of steep. what about buying just a motor instead of an entire assembly?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Check out GRAINGER

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 26, 2021 5:20 pm

if you have model number, fasco or dayton, shop around. Grainger, Electric Motor Warehouse, Amazon, ebay and various other heating supply houses, many blowers are used on furnaces, just have to watch the flange and CFM ratings,etc...also. If the same model, shouldn't matter where you get it.

I have a couple spares I bought a while ago, about 1/2 the price of the dealer.

they are rated a specific CFM as not to blow too much air and make it cooler or cool down too fast, then the fan may cycle more often.

Also, just keep the blades clean and oiled, they will last. My Keystoker is over 15 years old, I think I've only replaced the combustion blower on it.

ad356

Post by ad356 » Tue. Jan. 26, 2021 9:52 pm

ideally i would like to spares for all of my blowers and the stoker motor. if something breaks i just swap out with a part i have on the "shelf" instead of having downtime waiting for a part, or paying through the nose with the dealer

P.johnson14
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Kaa-4-1

Post by P.johnson14 » Sun. Jan. 31, 2021 7:47 am

I’m in the middle of figuring this out myself for my KAA-4-1. The combustion blower started having issues last week, so due to my own time limitations (I was the on call mechanic in our shop last week), I ordered from Keystone. The girl on the phone was awesome, told me, based on S/N a few things about my boiler, and placed my order, NDA.

After I got the boiler back up, I did some digging on Amazon and Grainger and found that, on average, Keystone is doubling the price of off the shelf parts. This doesn’t really bother me, all companies seem to do it, it’s the price you pay for convenience, I suppose. (Hobart, for instance, charges well over $200 for a similar Fasco motor on some of their rack ovens. The motor costs $60 from Grainger). Just take the brand and exact part number and do a google search.

My goal is to assemble a box of parts on my shelf to completely rebuild the stoker unit. I do this for work with equipment that I provide emergency service on, why not do it at home?

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Feb. 06, 2021 7:30 am

Honestly that would be a good idea for anyone who has an older unit - regardless of the brand of the stove. Especially if it’s the only heat source in the home. Before I switched to coal, I burned wood. I have a wood pellet stove that I bought for a back up heat source. For a two years I used only the pellet stove and it started to fail intermittently. I bought extra parts for it on the shelf. Then of coarse I switched to coal. I only use it during then first couple weeks and last couple weeks of the end of the shoulder months and just a few hours a day.
Anyway. Point is yes even for the extra money it is 100% worth having a few spare parts laying around then having to wait 1-3 days for parts if you have a problem. Parts don’t fail on warm days either. They know - they will fail on the coldest most inconvenient day possible.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Feb. 06, 2021 8:47 pm

Years ago I bought a ball bearing combustion blower for my 90 a Dayton 1TDN7. 50CFM, and adjusted it accordingly for my stove with a manometer. Is is quieter and uses half the electricity of the factory Fasco fan.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Feb. 07, 2021 8:49 pm

I have a spare stoker motor, and a spare combustion fan motor on the shelf, Just In Case.... I agree with others; ebay, Amazon, etc..

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Feb. 09, 2021 11:47 am

2001Sierra wrote:
Sat. Feb. 06, 2021 8:47 pm
Years ago I bought a ball bearing combustion blower for my 90 a Dayton 1TDN7. 50CFM, and adjusted it accordingly for my stove with a manometer. Is is quieter and uses half the electricity of the factory Fasco fan.

Bet that "PSC type motor" (permanet-split capacitor) that you have there should last about twice as long as the previous failed 'shaded-pole motor' since previous having less durable bushings. Stands to reason with it's high heat generated within would take a motor out quicker than one built better of ball bearings and since cooler running at 1/2 the amperage of that original 'shaded-pole" motor .

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”