Help with Alaska Kast Console

Camotoast
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaskan Kast Console
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II

Post by Camotoast » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 5:19 pm

Hey everyone,

My sister just got a used Alaskan Kast Console (unknown what version) back exhaust without the auger. It came with a rheostat and think we had it hooked up correctly however it burns full tilt, pushing the room temperature to 90°. I can't find an owners manual that correctly looks like what the rear of it has and am curious how to slow down the feeder on it.

I took some pictures of the back, of anyone can help maybe identify how to slow it down or what it may be missing I would appreciate it.

I run a Harman Mark II at my place and am totally unfamiliar with stoker stoves.

Thanks

Attachments

20210110_170031.jpg
.JPG | 313.3KB | 20210110_170031.jpg
20210110_170047.jpg
.JPG | 212.3KB | 20210110_170047.jpg
20210110_170101.jpg
.JPG | 278.2KB | 20210110_170101.jpg
20210110_170105.jpg
.JPG | 423.6KB | 20210110_170105.jpg

stokerstove
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stokerstove 1

Post by stokerstove » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 5:45 pm

I have an Alaska but not the same model. I assume you tried turning the rheostat down. In one of the pics you posted it looks like you have a similar feed system as mine. The linkage that moves the carpet (the plate that moves in and out to feed coal) should have a threaded rod (might be partially threaded) that has an acorn nut on the outside of the carpet flange and a "tab" on the inside of the carpet flange. The tab can be rotated to create a longer or shorter stroke. Looking from the back of the stove turning the tab clockwise should turn the fire down. Don't turn too many times, you may lose the fire.

Hopefully that helps, like I said, my stove is older and set up a little differently.

stokerstove

Post by stokerstove » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 5:48 pm

One other thing. If the stove was running in all the pics you posted the the small fan pictured doesn't appear to be running. This fan should run all the time while the stove is running to cool the feed and blower motors.

Camotoast

Post by Camotoast » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Yeah, all the blowers work. I was looking at that adjustment to mess with but felt it was such a haphazard way of controlling the fire. So I was kinda resisting messing with it.

I do have rheastat all the way down and its just pumping heat like crazy

CoalKracker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 460
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston Stove Co. Magnet No.2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice (reading coal co)

Post by CoalKracker » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 10:11 pm

If you have the cord for the stoker motor plugged into the rheostat on one end and the other end of the rheostat plugged into the wall and you cannot slow the stoker down when you turn the knob down then you have a bad rheostat. Easy fix.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 5:44 am

the rheostat should slow it down when turned one way or the other, does the motor(s) change speed at all when changed?
Rheostat could be bad?

it does take a lot of time for coal to respond. it's not instant, might take and an hour or more for it to slow down once it gets going if/when adjusted down. if you turn it down, it will take a while for the coal to burn down. Make small changes and let it settle out for a while.

At least you go it working! A coaltrol upgrade is always possible to control it a bit better with a thermostat.

stokerstove

Post by stokerstove » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 10:46 am

Camotoast wrote:
Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 6:19 pm
Yeah, all the blowers work. I was looking at that adjustment to mess with but felt it was such a haphazard way of controlling the fire. So I was kinda resisting messing with it.

I do have rheastat all the way down and its just pumping heat like crazy
That is the only way I've been controlling the heat from mine for over 30 years. Once the stove is supplying the proper amount of heat it usually only requires 1 turn one way or the other to adjust. It does take a short time to get used to watching the temps and being proactive, adjusting as needed. Coal-trol is a good but fairly expensive option that adds a bit of complexity to such a simple system, IMO. I got rid of the rheostat after it overheated and almost started a fire. That rheostat was the original from Alaska. All the motors and blowers are running 100% on my system.

As others have said, the rheostat may be connected wrong or not working.

I marked my feed adjustment because sometimes my wife has to adjust the stove and forgets which to turn it. The nut seen behind the tab in the pic is a nylock which is at the extreme low limit to prevent turning the stove too low and losing the fire.
alaskafeed.jpg
.JPG | 498KB | alaskafeed.jpg

Camotoast

Post by Camotoast » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 10:59 am

Thanks Stokerstove. I'll be looking to rotate that stop back alot. I know I measured the "stroke" of the carpet to be about 3/4 of an inch and take about 40 seconds at the lowest speed on the rheastat to make a full rotation. I imagine the stroke is way too far in and out so I'll be making an adjustment to it!

stokerstove

Post by stokerstove » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 11:58 am

your welcome.

Here's where my Alaska's manual says to start with the feed. My stove is a different model though.

Good luck
carpet.jpg
.JPG | 298.4KB | carpet.jpg

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 11:39 pm

The stove you have is a Channing 1.
Stokerstove is on the money and I agree with all of what he said.
The carpet feed system is a really simple mechanical system. All the motors ‘work’ all the time. Just adjust the carpet feed the way stoker said and you’ll be fine. And his idea of marking it so you can turn it in the correct direction is great. I had figured out that each turn was worth ‘xxx’ amount of heat increase. I had a calendar on the wall that I would write in every time I made an adjustment. Example 8am 2 t in and 7:30pm 2 t o
Meaning 2 Tin (2 turns in) and 2 t o. (2 turns out). Once you get it figured out. You’ll be able to control the box temp from a constant 100 degrees to 6/700 degrees.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”