Ash...

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 3:30 pm

I have an old septic tank that I never filled in. I'm thinking that it would either be an excellent place to dump ash, or a bad way to fill my property up with a bad substance. Whats everyone's thoughts ? Thanks !

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 7:03 pm

Do a search on ASH DISPOSAL on here, it's been discussed many, many times. Fill your driveway in, garden, fill you yard in, some places take it for fill, road traction, etc....

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 7:08 pm

JohnnyAsbury wrote:I have an old septic tank that I never filled in. I'm thinking that it would either be an excellent place to dump ash, or a bad way to fill my property up with a bad substance. Whats everyone's thoughts ? Thanks !
Sounds good to me.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 9:46 pm

If you use it I would be sure to wet it down heavily then compact once it dries or even crush it before you dump it in the hole. Truthfully it will take many years if you compact it, the volume is quite small once crushed or compacted.

coal nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by coal nut » Fri. Aug. 08, 2008 8:25 pm

You might want to think twice about using that stuff in a garden though.

Bobs86GN

Post by Bobs86GN » Sat. Aug. 09, 2008 10:08 am

I wonder if it would be any good as a mortar between stones or brick in a patio-instead of sand. Not mixed with a concrete or anything-just broomed into the cracks. I have pavers that were just delivered and will be making a patio soon. I'll most likely use sand when I complete it but some will wash away with time especially if power washing it. Obviously ,I will have more than enough to do an 800 sq ft area. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. I have read the threads on ash disposal already but I haven't seen this mentioned. I don't know if it would be dirty or dusty in this application?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Aug. 09, 2008 10:12 am

Mix a little Portland cement with the ash and it won't go anywhere.

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Fri. Aug. 15, 2008 10:18 pm

I just wast sure... if I ever went to sell my land and someone found a buried coal ash pile . Seems to me I remember some land in my town that they didnt build on because the factories used to dump their coal ash there....

EasySteaminBT

Post by EasySteaminBT » Sat. Aug. 16, 2008 1:19 am

Coal ash is used in various ways, Like portland cement, sheet rock, Gypsum, etc. :

75% of the use is in concrete and cement and in concrete blocks. It is typically substituted for cement in concrete at about 10-30%. It is also used as a filler for asphalt at a rate of about 12%.

Sludge, 57% of use is in wallboard, as road base, and other miscellaneous applications, but the total volume used is minimal compared to the total production.

Boiler Slag, 54% of use is as blasting grits and roof granules

Bottom Ash, 30% of use is for snow and ice control and other miscellaneous applications.

Since the early 1970s, all three types of coal ash have been used in construction projects. Coal ash is used to level out uneven terrain or applied as a stable fill for building construction. Typical applications include sites where shopping malls, housing developments, and industrial parks are planned for construction. Other projects have included the construction of road embankments, runways, public transportation system structures, and soil stabilization.

Other emerging applications of fly ash include the construction and sinking of artificial reefs, metal (aluminum and iron) extraction via direct acid leaching, and as a filler in paints and plastics. Examples of products which may contain fly ash include paints and undercoatings, auto bodies and boat hulls, PVC pipes, battery cases, bowling balls, utensils and tool handles, vinyl floor covering, and shower stalls.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Aug. 16, 2008 7:18 am

Bottom Ash, 30% of use is for snow and ice control and other miscellaneous applications.
What is bottom ash and how is it used for snow and ice control?

EasySteaminBT

Post by EasySteaminBT » Sat. Aug. 16, 2008 12:39 pm

When pulverized coal is burned in a dry bottom boiler about 80 percent of the unburned material or ash is entrained in the flue gas and is captured and recovered as fly ash. The remaining 20 percent of the ash is dry bottom ash, a dark gray, granular, porous, predominantly sand size material that is collected in a water-filled hopper at the bottom of the furnace.

As for snow and ice control, bottom ash has lower specific gravity and higher absorption values, this coupled with there are some salts in there as well. Hope that helps

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Aug. 16, 2008 2:34 pm

Learn something new every day. Thanks easy :)

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Sat. Aug. 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Learn something new every day
You got that right.

EasySteaminBT

Post by EasySteaminBT » Sun. Aug. 17, 2008 2:01 pm

No problem Adam, glad I could be of help. :cheers:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”