Wondering if i could do better

bigstick6017555
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by bigstick6017555 » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 6:47 pm

Running a Harman Magnum 13 yrs old, in a 75ft by 48 ft Rancher in finished basement. Outside temps. have been averaging low 20s at night and mid 30s at day. Holding 74-75 temp in basement and 71-72 temp upstairs with thermostat 12 ft from stove,( was thinking of trying a digital) 20ft Terracotta lined chimney, pulling .02-.03 wc with a barometric damper, no manual damper, two detectors upstairs. Coal usage average 40 lbs rice in 24 hr period, ash out 7 lbs. timers 4 0n - 12 off - distribution fan 4, got combustion fan tied to distribution fan. Hot coals 1-1/2 in from end of grates when thermostat calls for heat. I guess I should let well enough alone but I am always thinking I can do better. Would a coaltrol do better than a stock Harman control? Any helpful hints that might help. Happy New Year to you all.

CoalKracker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 460
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston Stove Co. Magnet No.2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice (reading coal co)

Post by CoalKracker » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 11:15 pm

Can u do better? Always....but how much better? Maybe not much. 40 pounds is less then 4 dollars a day which imo is a great price to heat a home in the winter in the northeast. I just calculated mine recently and came in at an average of 41.5 pounds per day with my alaska channing. From what ive seen for a modern home of average size in my area with decent circulation of heat throughout the home 40-60 pounds per day in winter seems about right. But its still fun to try to do better.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 8:27 am

sounds like you're doing well. at full burn rate, should be 1/2" or so close to the edge without falling off. sometimes you can tweak the feed rate a 1/2 turn or so at a time if it's adjustable.

I have a standard thermostat on my Keystoker and maintains good temps, about same coal usage as yours. 20-40# a day. I also have a coaltrol on my hyfire I, it maintains good temps also, nice to have blowers vary in speed based on feed rate, always heat coming out of the vent. and as the feed rate goes up, the blowers also go up. it is in basement ducted upstairs, with thermostat upstairs. it maintains pretty good temps. does go thru quite a bit of coal when really cold, but also has 2 burners. I run both stoves to heat an 1890 victorian house. it works for us. not quite as warm as you keep yours, but we like it.

bigstick6017555
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by bigstick6017555 » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 12:12 pm

Thanks for the input, you are right I should not expect a whole lot more for what I got. I think for now it is more of the grade of coal I get that shows better from one year to the next. I have never got a real bad batch but I have noticed over the years that some were really better. I have been with my local coal supplier since I started so I guess I will stay with him. Some times shopping around does not always pay off like you think it should.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jan. 01, 2021 5:59 pm

I'd go with an ash band of 1-1.5". A half inch puts you past the air holes, so you may unnecessarily be dropping some unburned coal in the ash pan. I also vote against having the combustion blower linked to the distribution fan. You burn coal and needlessly push btu's up the flue after the thermostat has been satisfied, and take away btu that would be sitting on the grate ready to satisfy the next call for heat. Separate control of the distribution fan allows it to harvest btu's already released at the time the thermostat has been satisfied, and best bank the rest for future calls.

Mike

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”