Need help. New to coal

Dfdsc68

Post by Dfdsc68 » Mon. Dec. 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi everyone I’ll start out by saying thanks. Have been spending hours on this site just checking it out. I have always been a wood or pellet burner. Just purchased an 1857 farmhouse in north east Pa. coal seems to be quite the method to use here. I stopped in at Alaska stove and really like the Channing III. I will have to use direct vent method due to no chimney. Does anyone have any pictures of the direct vent unit/piping.

StanT

Post by StanT » Mon. Dec. 28, 2020 4:30 pm

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Dec. 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Direct Vent mounts to the stove and pipe is pressurized, so it has to be sealed good.

Power Vent mounts to outside of house and pulls the exhaust out.

make sure you know which one it is, could depend on how and what size you run our piping.

welcome! lots of good info on here.

Dfdsc68

Post by Dfdsc68 » Mon. Dec. 28, 2020 5:10 pm

WNY wrote:
Mon. Dec. 28, 2020 5:00 pm
Direct Vent mounts to the stove and pipe is pressurized, so it has to be sealed good.

Power Vent mounts to outside of house and pulls the exhaust out.

make sure you know which one it is, could depend on how and what size you run our piping.

welcome! lots of good info on here.
Thank you. I’m dealing with some issues regarding placement it will be a corner mount my front corner is all windows out front with my oil tank fill on the other corner so that’s no good for a vent spot I assume

Dfdsc68

Post by Dfdsc68 » Mon. Dec. 28, 2020 5:21 pm

I posted two pictures here
First set is one scenario with the oil tank fill/whistle

And the second set another
The chimney falls just shy of the corner of the interior wall ruining my chance for an direct exit out the rear of stop

Attachments

B0900B11-9465-41A5-AE49-5F561AA8FE61.jpeg
.JPEG | 598KB | B0900B11-9465-41A5-AE49-5F561AA8FE61.jpeg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 28, 2020 5:28 pm

Remember that direct vent motor has to run all the time the stove is lit. the fan can also get clogged with fly ash. Trouble.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 11:32 am

What kind of chimney would your cast iron radiators use???

Coal and cast iron rads. are the best comfort and cheapest to operate...

Used coal boiler can cost little more than a New stove set-up...you have a wonderful heat distribution system already in place...

Any Direct Vent stove is but only a space-heater...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 11:55 am

Dfdsc68 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 28, 2020 3:36 pm
Hi everyone I’ll start out by saying thanks. Have been spending hours on this site just checking it out. I have always been a wood or pellet burner. Just purchased an 1857 farmhouse in north east Pa. coal seems to be quite the method to use here. I stopped in at Alaska stove and really like the Channing III. I will have to use direct vent method due to no chimney. Does anyone have any pictures of the direct vent unit/piping.
Welcome. I hate to jump all over someone new and tell them to change their plans, but there is no way I would put a direct vent stoker stove into a 160 year old house if I could avoid it.

For one, it will be very difficult to heat that house evenly with a single stove. All the time we get people coming on here complaining the room their stove is in is 90 degrees and the other half of the house is cold. Next issue, direct vent and power vent units require additional maintenance, and make more noise.

If you are set on using hot air, I would look at a furnace model that could be installed in the basement. Power vent your oil boiler and use that chimney for the coal unit.

If you are open to swinging a few pipe wrenches, a coal boiler could be connected to your cast iron radiators and heat the house quietly and evenly. ;)

lgilkes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman DVC, Keystoker Koker, EFM-AF, EFM-520 Boiler

Post by lgilkes » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Direct VENT, i would stay away from. I had three direct vent coal stoves on my house. Yes i said 3.

I purchased a chimney, now I only need 1 unit, not to mention the maintenance on the Direct Vent, it is a pain in the A%%&^%&^

Figure it out, and up to you, but i would def stay away from the direct vent.

If you need to go direct vent, i would go harman DVC only

P.johnson14
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Kaa-4-1

Post by P.johnson14 » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi there!

I’m in your neck of the woods, assuming you are taking about North East, PA, near Erie, as opposed to Northeastern PA. I live up in Sherman NY.

Church Street Supply is located up in North Clymer, NY. They carry DS Stove, who has some direct vent options. They also are affiliated with TJ Coal, in Spartansberg PA. TJ sells the Keystoker line, who also sells direct vent options. I have dealt with both shops extensively and highly recommend them both. I have also heard that Weaver’s on Route 8, just off of I90 sells coal equipment, but I’ve never dealt with them.

I would also advise you to avoid direct vent for your coal equipment. I work on commercial gas ovens and commercial HVAC-R equipment, and I can tell you that any equipment that has to run constantly in a combustion environment will have a short life, and that life will be even shorter in a coal burner application.

CoalKracker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 460
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston Stove Co. Magnet No.2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice (reading coal co)

Post by CoalKracker » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 11:15 pm

If you are set on the channing consider a power vent instead of the direct vent. I use a channing III with a power vent and i have few complaints about it. Its deffinitely a quality unit that heats my home which is more than 2000 sq ft and does it fairly cheap. Although if you have the means to use a coal boiler like the others have mentioned it might be something you might want to consider. It would be a much more even heat. I also live in nepa and see used coal boilers for sale quite frequently around here. Used channings are pretty common too with a price tag of around 1000 bucks for a decent one usually.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Dec. 30, 2020 12:44 am

agreed, the direct vents and powervents need to be cleaned several times per season.

A coal stoker boiler is the way to go... got my efm 350 boiler in a reconditioned but not painted form with a new domestic coil for under 2000 dollars. you can find used dual fuel efm 520's.

Dfdsc68

Post by Dfdsc68 » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 8:06 am

P.johnson14 wrote:
Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 8:17 pm
Hi there!

I’m in your neck of the woods, assuming you are taking about North East, PA, near Erie, as opposed to Northeastern PA. I live up in Sherman NY.

Church Street Supply is located up in North Clymer, NY. They carry DS Stove, who has some direct vent options. They also are affiliated with TJ Coal, in Spartansberg PA. TJ sells the Keystoker line, who also sells direct vent options. I have dealt with both shops extensively and highly recommend them both. I have also heard that Weaver’s on Route 8, just off of I90 sells coal equipment, but I’ve never dealt with them.

I would also advise you to avoid direct vent for your coal equipment. I work on commercial gas ovens and commercial HVAC-R equipment, and I can tell you that any equipment that has to run constantly in a combustion environment will have a short life, and that life will be even shorter in a coal burner application.
Thank you sir, no I am northeastern. Near honesdale pa

Dfdsc68

Post by Dfdsc68 » Thu. Dec. 31, 2020 8:08 am

Thank you all for the insight I will be doing some homework and taking all of your ideas and considerations in. I appreciate you all happy new year be safe

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”