Alaska Channing Ordered I Should Be Happy No?

GettingStoked
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III

Post by GettingStoked » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Need some adivse here... I just got home from putting the down payment on a Alaska Channing III
(could of had it delivered Wednesday if I was ready but I'm not so 3 weeks). I had been using propane, so I called my propane supplier to find out that they won't credit any propane thats left in the tanks (even though they will just take the tanks and sell that same propane to someone else and thus get double for it) I checked the tanks (2 100gal tanks) and they are 60% filled each so roughly 100gals. Which at current market value is $300.00. The only thing I can think of doing, is seeing if I can get the coal stove store to hold off installation untill around november until I can burn off most of whats in there. This had really got me p-oed... :mad: Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Do you have friends that use propane in 100 lb bottles? Have them burn the remainder and give you something for it. Trade the bottles contents for help installing the stove, trade them for coal. Get that stove delivered now and get some coal, stoves in hand are like hens teeth.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 4:22 pm

Get that Alaska and coal ASAP, you won't be sorry.

Propane Ripoff

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Got a call from my future coal delivery guy, not bad 185 a ton 4 ton min. (just went up $10), he is cool about holding off till I get everything situated.. said, "just give me a call when your ready". So, now to get the stove co. to hold on to my stove for a couple months (lol could of had it in on Wednesday) and burn up whats left of the propane. Gonna have a tosty tosty house so I can get this over with. Good thing about getting the stove now, is that I heard they are going up in price.. 2700 delviered and installed, thats not bad. Just the basic unit for the first year until the dust settles... then coal-trol add on next year. :D

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Why not save the propane for the winter? If you have any troubles with the stove you have backup heat. The propane will not go bad.

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 6:13 pm

As far as saving the propane, won't work... The propane stove is vented out the same chimney I want to hook the coal stove to... and the PP stove uses an exhaust pipe all the way up inside the chimney to the top. So in order to hook the coal stove up, I have to pull all that smaller pipe out of the chimney, so you can see where this is going. I plan to keep the PP stove and inner pipe for a year or so to see how things go (unless I can find a buyer fast), but I think the writings on the wall here. Just gonna have to use it up. Its like they say two steps forward, 1 step back. Everytime one of these walls pops up, my wife gets farther and farther from the whole vision I have... but I know I have to do this, and I'm staying the corse.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 6:57 am

Can't just use the propane for something else like a gas stove, outdoor grill, lights on your deck or even for one of those propane fired mosquito killing contraptions?

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 7:08 am

Get yourself a propane water heater,or a propane gas grill, propane patio lights. What ever it takes to keep and use up the propane. Or just let the tanks set right where they are. Get the Stove hooked up now while you can. The gas company just doesn't want to part with the money you already paid them. :mad:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 7:45 am

If you keep the tanks and don't use the propane the evil propane company will hit you with a service charge. It's a ripoff either way.

MAR

Post by MAR » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 1:56 pm

or you can do what I do, run a copper line with a quick connect to my propane BBQ grill and enjoy the summer with lots of chicken, spare ribs, corn, burgers, dogs and sooo on....mmmmm.......yum.

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Called the Stove Co. and they have no problem holding off delivery for me. So, gonna burn the propane for the fall and when its gets down low enough, I will have the new stove installed. In the meantime, to build my coal bin and get the coal delivered. :)

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Fri. Sep. 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Looks like October 9th is the firm install date for the Alaska Channing. PP is down to 50% and droping fast with this colder weather. Already took half day off from work so I can be here to learn all the ins and outs from the installers... Do you think there will be alot of info for me to absorb where I might want to video it for future reference? Anyway, The bin is built and holding 2.5 ton rice. Heading out tomorrow for a nice new shovel and those starters with the mangnesium I've been reading about. I guess the only other question I have at this point, is do you think I will need to get a manometer, like the Dwyer model 25 I've been reading about here on the forums? Thanks

Chris

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Sep. 19, 2008 10:24 pm

If your installers are on the ball, they will have a manometer to set the barometric damper. If you would like to monitor the draft, then I would recommend buying a manometer.

Sort of like your car, do you like and trust warning lights for oil pressure and engine temperature, or do you prefer actual gauges??

Greg L.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 8:01 am

GettingStoked wrote:Do you think there will be a lot of info for me to absorb where I might want to video it for future reference?

Chris
Chris

You should at least take some pictures for not only future reference but to post on here :)

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 5:58 pm

They installed my propane stove and did one heck of a nice job, so I would expect the same.. :D But I like your analogy and will keep that in mind. thanks
LsFarm wrote:If your installers are on the ball, they will have a manometer to set the barometric damper. If you would like to monitor the draft, then I would recommend buying a manometer.

Sort of like your car, do you like and trust warning lights for oil pressure and engine temperature, or do you prefer actual gauges??

Greg L.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”