Got My New Alaska Stove the Other Day!

coal nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by coal nut » Fri. Aug. 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Hello again. Well being a former coal burner of a Franco Belge many years ago and then getting snookered into trying pellets a few years ago (never again) and wood after that, I can now say I am finally back with coal to stay! We had been thinking of getting a stove with a jacket or a furnace to put in the basement, but decided that we wanted something for the upstairs living area and went with the Alaska Channing. Got it home last week and set it up (without the barametric just to test) and it seems to work great. I'll be getting the damper shortly and I will have to try to get some advice on setting it im sure. The last coal stove I had was set up by an installer and he set it by hand I think. Now I just hope I can get coal soon. I have a huge dealer right next to me but he is currently sold out. I have another dealer that has it but its 299.99 (bagged)a ton. (guess it sounds better than 300.00 LOL) Not sure if that is good? Im thinking its a little high. I know a dealer in MA. (im in Central CT) that has a lot for 270.00 but with truck, travel time and gas, probably not saving anything from the 299.99 local guy. Well even though im a previous coal burner, im sure I will have some questions on things. Glad to be back to coal and I'll be talking to you all a lot more now!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 3:57 am

Congrats on the new stove. From all I've read you'll enjoy it. I'd buy from the local guy unless is was over 20% cheaper someplace else. It will help keep coal local for you.

What were the complaints of pellets? SO many people are going to pellets this year. Cost of heat is nuts and people are scared.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 7:39 am

I'm in Mass and the cheapest price I've seen for a ton of coal bagged was $315, so I don't think $300 is bad at all. If you really want cheaper then you need to look more towards the west where the coal comes from. Like Freddy mentioned, if the price for local coal is only a small amount then you are better off getting it local just to help insure that there will be coal sold locally for you in the future.

Congrats on the new stove. :)

thoule

Post by thoule » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm in central CT as well (durham) and waiting for my KA6 to arrive next month. I got my rice at $269/ton for 5 tons bagged. Delivery is an additional $200. Maybe if you take delivery at the same time as me, we can save on the delivery fee! The dealer is Hocon Gas in Torrington. They are selling from Schuykill mine in Ashland - I hope it's good stuff; I'm new at this!

The other popular dealer around is Household coal in New Britain. 860-224-2424. $245/ton picked up. $550 for 2 tons or more delivered. I don't think they do bagged, but I can't be sure right now...

Todd

coal nut

Post by coal nut » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 9:24 pm

Freddy wrote:Congrats on the new stove. From all I've read you'll enjoy it. I'd buy from the local guy unless is was over 20% cheaper someplace else. It will help keep coal local for you.

What were the complaints of pellets? SO many people are going to pellets this year. Cost of heat is nuts and people are scared.
Yeah I think your guys are right about the local guy. The reason I hated pellets. Mostly because of the low BTU's you get out of them vs coal or wood. They consume a lot of pellets to throw a marginal amount of heat. Also the mess! You have to keep those stoves spotlessy clean for them to work right and it got to be a real pain shutting it down every couple days and vacuuming it out etc. I also think due to the current shortage of sawdust the prices for pellets are going to be out of reach for most real soon. A few years ago when the whole oil thing/pellet rage started there was a massive shortage and people in my area were actually paying 8.00 a bag! At that price you may as well crank up the oil or even the electric baseboards!

coal nut

Post by coal nut » Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 9:31 pm

thoule wrote:I'm in central CT as well (durham) and waiting for my KA6 to arrive next month. I got my rice at $269/ton for 5 tons bagged. Delivery is an additional $200. Maybe if you take delivery at the same time as me, we can save on the delivery fee! The dealer is Hocon Gas in Torrington. They are selling from Schuykill mine in Ashland - I hope it's good stuff; I'm new at this!

The other popular dealer around is Household coal in New Britain. 860-224-2424. $245/ton picked up. $550 for 2 tons or more delivered. I don't think they do bagged, but I can't be sure right now...

Todd
Hey thoule! Im not sure we are that close. Im in Bristol. Not sure if that is close to Durham. I tried the guy in New Britian an got a "this number is no longer in service". I think I used 203 area code. Maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe I'll try again on Monday. Im probably going to go with the guy in my town, but i'll keep you posted. Thanks

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Aug. 03, 2008 5:32 am

Holy Moly! This Ace Hardware is getting over $400 a ton for pellets!!!!

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/maeder-wood- ... 89117.html

btrowe1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal

Post by btrowe1 » Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 8:44 am

I'd like to add 1 ton to my cart please... How about quick delivery to Glens Falls Ny.. :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”