What happens when a LL Pocono runs out of coal?

Sammi
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pocono
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Sammi » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 9:17 am

Good morning,

I'm very new to burning coal, and could not find an answer to my question with the search function..
What happens when a stoker stove runs out of coal? Do the fans shut down or do they continue running? I'm gone for several days at a time fairly often, and I was wondering about this. Will I come home to the fans running full tilt?
I have a (used) LL Pocono, with Coal Trol and Could not find info on this.. Thank you in advance!
Sammi

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 3:09 pm

pretty sure everything still runs after the hopper is empty and the fire is out.

Sammi

Post by Sammi » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Hmm.. will that cause problems? Aside from wasting electricity and blowing around cold air, that is.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 5:16 pm

Nope, nothing bad happens. blowers will continue to run, fire will burn itself out, since there is no more coal to be fed. It may burn back a bit on the plate and might have a little sulfur smell that MAY come out of the hopper where the coal is empty and fire hasn't completely burnt out. mine has run out of coal before, the stoker and blowers will continue to run until shutoff manually/unplugged, or just fill it back up and relight it. You could always set back the temp, so it idles a lot and coal will last longer.

Always Make sure you working CO detectors.

You can look at a plug in temp. controller, if the temp gets too low, it would shut off the stove or something like that.

Sammi

Post by Sammi » Thu. Nov. 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Thank you WNY and Lincolnmania. I appreciate the help. I will set the temp back to 50. See how long the coal in the hopper lasts at that temperature. I expect that there will be a bit of a learning curve going from wood to coal. I find myself fascinated by the stove and the coal fire itself.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Fri. Nov. 20, 2020 6:30 pm

Yes, if unattended for a while and you can just keep the chill off, you can set back the temperature and it should last longer depending on your heat loss and insulation. when it's warmer outside, my keystoker will just idle for days and kick up when needed. usually keep it around the 64-65 degs. house usually stays about that warm most of the time until temps outside start dipping into the 30's at night.....it takes a while to get used it and figure it out and what works best for your situation. no two setups are the same.

Sammi

Post by Sammi » Fri. Nov. 20, 2020 6:43 pm

.....it takes a while to get used it and figure it out and what works best for your situation. no two setups are the same.
So I gathered. I've been reading and taking notes here for some time. Doing research. I have a lot to learn, and I hope with experience, to get a clue about what's what with this particular situation and setup. I am grateful to have this forum to poke around, and the input of people that do know what's what with coal burning.
Thank you for your help.
Sammi

StanT

Post by StanT » Fri. Nov. 27, 2020 9:40 am

You get cold, Stant

Sammi

Post by Sammi » Fri. Nov. 27, 2020 10:06 am

StanT wrote:
Fri. Nov. 27, 2020 9:40 am
You get cold, Stant