Hyfire 180

McMillan2015
Other Heating: Baseboard electric, kerosene heater

Post by McMillan2015 » Tue. Sep. 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Hello! I'm completely new to coal. I've been researching and researching and starting to feel overwhelmed so...here is the deal:

Bought a 1871 farmhouse last winter. Roughly 1600 sq ft of living space with 2 floors and an unfinished basement. Lived off space heaters and baseboard heaters upstairs. We were COLD. We had our pipes freeze 3 times between December and April. Our basement is a walkout basement. Chimney is unusable due to the new roof being built over top of it. We have an old oil furnace that vented through the chimney and all ductwork still available.

So, my questions is...would a hyfire 180 or keystoker koker be best? Or is there another option to consider?

Mitch
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line AK-110
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: A pack of matches and a Hitzer 50-93

Post by Mitch » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 6:31 am

I'm just about finished installing my Leisureline AK-110 in my 1904 farm house with about 1800 sq. ft. of living space. I'll let you know how everything pans out...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 6:37 am

If the chimney is still sound I would have it extended up through the roof. Power vents work, but they are a maintenance item and generally don't perform as well as a proper chimney.

Since you already have ductwork, I would look at the furnaces offered by LL and Keystoker.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”