Changing out stoves

leetbumble

Post by leetbumble » Tue. Sep. 22, 2020 10:54 am

When I bought my house it came with a anthracite coal stove. It's great for the heating but in mid maryland the pricing doesnt work for us.

As we look at replacement options no one in the area really seems to have the answers I need so hoping you might. Can I simply install a wood stove using the existing chimney/ flue? Ideally I'd like to just swap the stoves as the connections appear to match.

Thanks!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 22, 2020 11:33 am

Ya got access to BIT coal????????????? Course your profile don't say where ya are or what kind of stove ya got --that would be real helpful -- I promise, no one's gonna steal ya. LOL If the chimney is in decent shape, no reason ya can't use it for any stove.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Sep. 22, 2020 12:07 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Sep. 22, 2020 11:33 am
If the chimney is in decent shape, no reason ya can't use it for any stove.
Agree!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Sep. 22, 2020 1:14 pm

What kind of chimney ? Some old timers only used single wall pipe for coal stoves.

If it's just single wall pipe for the outdoors section and you burn wood, then it will lose too much heat and load up with creosote. Had that problem with my coal stove on Long Island. Worked OK for coal, but, when burning wood, because I used single wall pipe outdoors it would need cleaning quite often.

After a few time of playing around with that mess I went back to just using coal.

Paul

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Tue. Sep. 22, 2020 2:15 pm

leetbumble wrote:
Tue. Sep. 22, 2020 10:54 am
When I bought my house it came with a anthracite coal stove. It's great for the heating but in mid maryland the pricing doesnt work for us.

As we look at replacement options no one in the area really seems to have the answers I need so hoping you might. Can I simply install a wood stove using the existing chimney/ flue? Ideally I'd like to just swap the stoves as the connections appear to match.

Thanks!
Let the expert's on here know what kind of coal stove you have,may be able to burn some wood in shoulder months.i'm also in maryland and get my coal from trucking firm in Freeland md.

leetbumble

Post by leetbumble » Tue. Sep. 22, 2020 7:05 pm

It is an Alaska Channing III.

As far as flue age, I assume it was a recent addition to the house. I'm guessing there isn't a way to tell if its double walled for the outside section without getting on the roof. Objective set for this weekend then.

Thanks all!

StanT

Post by StanT » Wed. Sep. 23, 2020 7:50 am

If its ss steel outside just take the cleanout cap off the t outside. If its a block chimney it should have a square flue liner sticking out from the top of the chimney.
Good Luck, Stant

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”