Moving Furnace Down Stairs

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
WyomingGeologist

Post Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 2:54 pm

I just bought a used stokermatic warrior 150. Does anyone have any experience moving a 600 lb furnace down steep steps, around bends and into a basement? Any advice on getting this hunk of iron down stairs without killing myself would be appreciated.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Take everything off you can and move it in pieces.

Nail 2x4's or a piece of plywood to the steps as runners and slide it down (assuming you have a side that is flat piece of steel). You can tape a piece of cardboard to the side of it too. If you have a place at the top of the steps either like a rafter preferably right next to the sill you can attach a eyebolt for a pulley to help control its decent. On flat ground you can roll it on pipes.

You may also want to consider adding some temporary support to the steps depending on how they were constructed. Most are not made to hold a 600lb. boiler and a few grown men.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Just to add if you go with a pulley in the rafter I'd probably double up on it with a piece of 3/4 plywood in the middle. The plywood will prevent it from splitting.

There's a lengthy thread here: How did you get your coal stove into your house???
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”