Stoker Set up Costs?

viper69

Post by viper69 » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 2:35 pm

I am planning on buying an Alaskan Stoker 85,000 power/direct vent stove. The dealer wants $450 to deliver (20 miles) and set the stove up. Does that sound expensive to you? How hard would it be for me to do my own set up of a power vented model. Thanks.....

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 6:42 pm

If you have never dealt with coal before, that may be a very good price. I'm sure the installed price you quoted would include all of the necessary piping and them placing the stove where you want it ??? And the big thing is them explaining HOW TO OPERATE IT !

There is a difference between power vent and direct vent. Direct vent put positive pressure in the stove to force the flue gasses outside. That requires the chimney pipes to be sealed tightly to prevent CO from entering the house. A power vent sucks the flue gasses from the house as the fan is located on the exterior of the house. Not near as critical sealing the pipes as any leak would be sucking air from the home.

As I say, the price may be very well worth it. Also have the others in the house who would tend the stove to be present to hear the correct operating procedures. Saves some aggravation from the significant other if it doesn't work as she thought it should.

Rick

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 6:57 pm

How talented are you handyman wise? If you have friends who are semi-professional/professional tradesmen/installers you might persuade them to help by providing a meal and beverages, after the install is done.
$450 in my area is very reasonable for delivery and install, they demo how to run the stove and do normal maintenance on the stove.
Check to see if it includes any extras such as pipe, tees or barometric damper.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 10:00 pm

Sounds pretty reasonable because today I bought a new field controls baro for $40 alone and the elbows and pipe were another $50 .

MAR

Post by MAR » Tue. Jul. 29, 2008 9:18 pm

I was quoted $895.00 for delivery and install for the Alaska model 140 and another $100.00 if I want the hot water coil installed. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

szembek

Post by szembek » Wed. Jul. 30, 2008 9:03 am

I guess I got a good deal when I got my Keystoker A120 delivered 35 miles and installed for $225. It came with all necessary stove pipe and barometric damper. If you're not comfortable doing it, I guess you should pay him the price. Especially if you're not familiar with hooking up stove pipe, or the direct vent piece of it.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Wed. Jul. 30, 2008 3:56 pm

does that price include all the pipes and baro(if needed)? That's gotta by $50-$100 right there.

Is that stove a direct vent or a unit that requires power venting?

and don't forget they carry it in for you :)

on the other hand, I'm too cheap and have to do things myself :P

viper69

Post by viper69 » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 10:33 am

That price includes the pipe but not the BD. So thats delivery, Set up(power venter), Pipe and Hole through block wall. I guess its not too bad of a price....

snooze913

Post by snooze913 » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 1:00 pm

I was quoted $800 by a Harman dealer for an install on a DVC-500. That included all the pipe, damper, etc... So it sounds like you are getting a good price. My Plumber is doing my stove and power vent I don't know the price yet.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”