Alaskan 85,000 BTU?

viper69

Post by viper69 » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 1:19 pm

I am planning on buying an Alaskan 85,000 BTU power vent coal stove and I have a question. I live in a 1500 SF log home with my garage under my house. I was planning on putting this stoker in the basement but my question is how well will this heat the first floor of my home? I am planning on closing off one side of my garage to try and keep from losing heat out the garage doors. I would assume that I will need to put vent in the floor so heat can get upstairs. My basement ceiling (upstairs floor) is not insulated. Do you think I can get the upstairs to 70 degrees with this without using my oil baseboard heat?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Jul. 25, 2008 1:34 pm

Every heating situation is different....

Somehow, you would need to get the heat upstairs. if you order one with a TOP Vent (for the Convection blower - not Top Exhaust vent, however you can get both) You can get an extra heat duct (8" normally) on the top of the stove, and you can run it upstairs to a floor grate somewhere. Centrally located would be the best, but if you can get the cold air to circulate back down to basement (stairs, vents, etc...), then you may get good convection in the house and it "should" work. We always state 'should" because every home has different heating/cooling requirements. what works for some, may not for others. With some help from others on here, I know you can come up with something that would work.

You will always get the most heating in/around the stand alone stoves, they do give off a lot of radiant heat from the sides.

viper69

Post by viper69 » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 10:38 am

I am definetly getting the Alaskan because its the only one I can find that I don't have to order and wait until winter to get it. Keystoker, reading, LL and Harman are all on oder only basis and some tell me it will be January. I found an Alaskan dealer who had several in stock. I just hope it heats the house enough so I don't have to use the oil at all.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”