POR-15 in Fire Chamber

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Tue. Jul. 22, 2008 10:34 pm

I have the inside of my Channing 3 loocking pretty good. I did a wash with baking soada and water several times. I wanted to paint the inside of my stove with POR-15. The paint can handle 700 degrees and will stop the rusting action. I'm wonder if anyone has tried this? Does it hold up? Will the paint insulate the heat from radiating out of the stove?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jul. 23, 2008 6:58 am

I don't think it will hold up inside the stove. Anthracite burns a lot hotter than 700 degrees. POR-15 makes a high temperature paint, I believe it is rated for 1300-1400 degrees. You would have better chances with that.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Jul. 23, 2008 9:26 am

I would use a spray can of high temp header paint.. use only a thin coat so you don't insulate the stove body from the heat of the fire.

You will never stop corrosion inside the stove,, it is a hot, corrosive environment.. but stoves last decades with just a little maintenance and care.

Greg L

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Wed. Jul. 23, 2008 10:48 am

POR-15 does make a high temp paint but it will not hold up well over rust. The metal would need to be sand blasted which is not doable in my case. I thought about header paint but I'm not sure if it would work over rust.

zeeklu

Post by zeeklu » Wed. Jul. 23, 2008 5:25 pm

I would think it would slow the rust and probably burn off as soon as you light the stove in the fall.But if it stops the rust during the summer months and you don't mind doing it yearly , why not? Just be careful, the fumes are bad if you brush it. If you spray it , Definitely use a fresh air supplied mask , the fumes Will hurt you.And don't get it on you it takes forever to wear off. Ask me how I know. :roll: Chris

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Aug. 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Here is an update. I painted the inside of my hopper, fire chamber and ash pan. I used about 1 quart. Even if most of it burns off the ashpan and hopper should stay protected form rust. However, I had a piece of steel from the stove that I took out when I installed my coil and painted half ot the rusted area. Then I took a torch and fired up the underside and directly on the paint for about 5 minutes and the paint held up so that is encouraging. I won't know anything until I lite the stove but so far tests are favorable.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”