stoker furnace

gumptruck

Post by gumptruck » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 8:36 pm

Have a stoker furnace said its 85,000 but at full burn. How can u tell if your stove is giving thisAt this what degree should fire be about. any other way to tell if you are getting this

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 9:02 pm

What are the temps on the stack and sides? Also how much ash on the end of the grate, assuming it is plate burner and not a pot. Brand and model?

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 10:20 pm

at full throttle you are going to have about an inch of ash at the end of the grate.
how big is the space that you are heating? any insulation in your house?
is your stove in a basement?
i heated a 20x30 room with r11 ceiling insulation and block walls with r3 foam sheets and paneling on half the room with my alaska. when it got really cold i had to run the stove wide open to keep it in the mid 60's i had a box fan behind the stove to help move the heat around more.
insulation and thermal break are important. seal up the drafts the best you can.

here at the homestead i installed a 85,000 btu reading coal stove when i moved home. i have it in the basement so i'm heating 3 floors, about 2600 square foot total.
the stove runs wide open when the temps are below 35 degrees. i have the downstairs thermostat for the coal stove set at 73 degrees and the oil furnace set at 69 degrees. i had some 3/8" foam installed under the new siding and just the added r2 and the thermal break have made the house more comfortable.

jremington
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: DS Machines. Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Machines Aqua Gem
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Anthra Glo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Anthramax Comfort Max
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Rice and Stove
Other Heating: Gas and pellet stoves

Post by jremington » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 10:50 pm

Do you mean a stoker stove? 85,000 is pretty small for a coal furnace.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 11:26 am

If its the 85k btu number you are trying to verify I think you'd have to measure the weight of the coal that is fed through the stove along with the run time of the stoker. That gets you how many lbs / hr are being burned up by the stove. Then calculate the btu's / hour by using the btu's per lb of coal . You should probably figure out the unburned coal from the ash by weighing the ash and using an ideal ~14% ash ratio and subtracting any percentage above that. Then subtract out the stove inefficiency percentage and you'll get a nice WAG at it!! :D

or just ask Isayre to come up with a spreadsheet!!! :yes:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”