Odd odor like ash

Patfan77
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: 160
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Koker 160
Coal Size/Type: 160000 BTU

Post by Patfan77 » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 10:58 am

Appreciate it! I ended up taking the ash vac and cleaning around the pan location and door sills. There was a lot of ash built up in the back and corners. I’m sure that played a big factor + having hopper only a 1/4 filled. Thanks for all the replies!

Eab91276
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Propane Insert; Heat Pump

Post by Eab91276 » Wed. Feb. 12, 2020 8:26 pm

Just another thought about the odor... could there be dirt/dust in your propane furnace? When the stoker sends hot air through the ductwork it heats up the debris and gives that odor. Might not hurt to take a peak in there, especially at the heat exchanger.

Patfan77
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: 160
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Koker 160
Coal Size/Type: 160000 BTU

Post by Patfan77 » Sat. Feb. 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Yes i checked inside of there. I have my main run off my stoker (16”) tied into my cold air return of propane furnace if that makes sense. At first I didn’t like the idea but after seeing my filter at the cold air return of my propane furnace I’m glad I did. I’ve been changing filters out every 3-4 weeks. They are completely covered by 1 month so I couldn’t imagine the amount of coal dust that gets thrown around a basic ductwork set up. Heat wise it’s incredible what it produces. I’ve easily kept our 3720 sq/ft Including the basement and garage at 74 without any problem at all. They are beasts. I’m wondering how much the cold air return of the koker tied in will actually help. Thanks again for all the replies. Just the basic cleaning I did and keeping the hopper full took away the burnt ash smell. Appreciate it!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”