Leisure Line Ak-110 or Hitzer 710?

Mitch
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line AK-110
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: A pack of matches and a Hitzer 50-93

Post by Mitch » Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 1:58 pm

So I've decided to switch from a wood furnace to a coal furnace. I'm looking at getting either a Leisure Line AK-110 or a Hitzer 710. I'm favoring the Leisure Line because I've heard nothing but good things about it. Plus I'm a big fan of getting all of the efficiency that I can out of the fuel with those heat exchangers. Also, a big fan of a 320lbs. hopper

On the other hand I have an old tile chimney and kinda like the idea of running a power vent, so the Hitzer is an option as well. Plus, I live under 40 miles from their factory.

Both run with the coal-trol thermostat, and are relatively close on btu, so I guess that id like to hear some feedback on the Hitzer, because I've read quite a few reviews on the Leisure Line.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 10:05 am

I would never run a power vent if there is a chimney available.

The LL is a proven product, but if you are that close to Hitzer I would probably lean that way. Spare parts in 1 hr is worth a lot on a bad day.

Is there much of a cost difference?

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 8:35 pm

From what I've seen they are close in price.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Apr. 12, 2020 10:16 am

You're not getting much for replies. Not sure if that's good, or bad... Must be the two stoves are very close. In my opinion, the size of the ash box is more important than hopper size. Maybe ash box size would be the deciding factor. I also agree with both of Rob R's thoughts...

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Apr. 14, 2020 10:17 am

They are extremely similar. In this case, price would determine which model.

Bbulkley18
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line AK110

Post by Bbulkley18 » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 9:45 am

I installed an AK110 this past year and have been very happy with it. Previously heated with a wood furnace. I don't have any experience with the Hitzer, but the customer support at LL has been great. Parts availability on their website and through local dealers has been great too. Check their dealer locator on the LL website to see what dealers are close by. That may be as important as factory location. I heat a 1900 sq ft split level in WNY that is pretty well insulated. I started the furnace Nov 1 and am still running it. 4 tons total will get me right until May 1. The Coal-trol is the cats beeehind. Even with the larger hopper, the coal will funnel so I will usually add a bucket or a bag each day. Ash removal every 3 days or so. I'm a long ways from their factory, but I have a local dealer 20 miles away, and that helped with my decision, though after reading reviews and calling the LL factory I was likely going with LL anyway. Give them a call if you haven't already, they will gladly help you out. Great to talk to. The only thing that was a surprise with the LL is that the cold air return box had to be purchased separately. It was almost $300. That's an item that is typically included with other furnace varieties.

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Sat. Jul. 18, 2020 10:03 am

I bought the LL AK-110 and am waiting to install. I also decided on going with a new chimney liner. I am currently waiting on the right day to do the liner install before moving forward. I splurged a bit on upgrades as far as the mix insulation to go around the liner. Pete at the coal shop in Urbana, OH suggested it bc the chimney is West facing. On another note there is also a woods blocking the wind, but I figured that its better safe than sorry. Plus, the better the draft, the better the burn. I'll also be running new electric over to the stove since the old switch next to the old stove is exactly that...old. I'll take plenty of pictures during the install, and share them on here.

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Sat. Jul. 18, 2020 10:06 am

Bbulkley18 wrote:
Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 9:45 am
I installed an AK110 this past year and have been very happy with it. Previously heated with a wood furnace. I don't have any experience with the Hitzer, but the customer support at LL has been great. Parts availability on their website and through local dealers has been great too. Check their dealer locator on the LL website to see what dealers are close by. That may be as important as factory location. I heat a 1900 sq ft split level in WNY that is pretty well insulated. I started the furnace Nov 1 and am still running it. 4 tons total will get me right until May 1. The Coal-trol is the cats beeehind. Even with the larger hopper, the coal will funnel so I will usually add a bucket or a bag each day. Ash removal every 3 days or so. I'm a long ways from their factory, but I have a local dealer 20 miles away, and that helped with my decision, though after reading reviews and calling the LL factory I was likely going with LL anyway. Give them a call if you haven't already, they will gladly help you out. Great to talk to. The only thing that was a surprise with the LL is that the cold air return box had to be purchased separately. It was almost $300. That's an item that is typically included with other furnace varieties.
How does your LL AK110 keep up in your house? My house is similar size, yet less insulated...

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Sat. Jul. 18, 2020 10:08 am

My house is an old fixer upper farm house. We're going through it replacing windows and re insulating bit by bit, but it is taking a while...

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Sat. Jul. 18, 2020 10:09 am

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 10:05 am
I would never run a power vent if there is a chimney available.

The LL is a proven product, but if you are that close to Hitzer I would probably lean that way. Spare parts in 1 hr is worth a lot on a bad day.

Is there much of a cost difference?
I took your advise and went with a new chimney line instead of a power vent. One less thing to break.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”