Leisure line direct vent

swanxb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by swanxb » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 6:46 pm

I bought this stove 4 years ago. I am a lady living alone and had no idea about the care for an anthracite rice coal stove. I finally found the you-tube pages and cleaned and oiled the fan. While doing that, little pieces of aluminum blades fell out of the vent. I found out it was the heat dispersing fan. I did not replace it at the time, but will do so this spring or earlier if it stops working. Do I have to buy an entire new powerventer or just the fan and replacement motor? The motor still works, but I know the heat sling is broken and Leisure line sells that part for only $16.00. What should I do?

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 8:15 am

Welcome swanxb I would 1st see if you can get the fan blade off the motor shaft, more often than not the set screws and fan are rusted on the shaft. If you can make it through the rest of the cold weather then you’ll have time to get it back in shape before the next heating season. Hopefully you have CO detectors to be safe ! Leisure line I believe has some maintenance videos also. Good Luck and come back to let us know how you made out

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 8:41 am

Have a question about the power vent, is it the older style with the squirrel cage fan or the newer version (should have a green label) ?

swanxb

Post by swanxb » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi Bob, yes it is the old style. I took it apart but did not remove the cage. I will try in the spring. I did not think it would work since the tiny fan broke into pieces. But it did and I started the stove up as the temperature dropped only 3 weeks ago. It had been so mild. Yesterday, for some reason the temperature inside the stove really increased. It was putting out so much heat and I noticed an odor in the house. My exhaust vent had stopped working with that heat. So I began the process of shutting it down and when it cooled down, it started up again. So it must have something to do with that heat slinger fan being broken. I do have a CO2 alarm and I just ordered another one, Kidde for dual heat. It is scary to think I may not wake up. It is working fine today though.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 4:00 pm

swanxb wrote:
Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 12:50 pm
Yesterday, for some reason the temperature inside the stove really increased. It was putting out so much heat and I noticed an odor in the house. My exhaust vent had stopped working with that heat. So I began the process of shutting it down and when it cooled down, it started up again.
I do have a CO2 alarm and I just ordered another one, Kidde for dual heat. It is scary to think I may not wake up. It is working fine today though.
Somethings is not right with your stove's safety wiring...over heat should stop burner/feeder, not stop the exhaust venter...this is life threatening, shut stove down NOW until safety wiring corrections are made.
Last edited by McGiever on Mon. Jan. 27, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 4:48 pm

WOW I AGREE SHUT DOWN !!! you should have a Safety switch installed for the power venter on the stove that turns the power off and the stove will shut down if you loose power or the power venter has a problem like motor stops or clogged vent pipe ! Is that safety switch installed ??? Check the videos out from leisure line to see how to install that WMO-1 Safety Switch for the power venter. I think you may want to replace the motor with the fans on that power venter to be safe !

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 5:00 pm

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 5:01 pm

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 5:02 pm

Hope these videos help, please be safe !

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 6:13 pm

shut it down until you replace the part. it's unsafe to fire if the blades rotted off the powervent fan.

swanxb

Post by swanxb » Mon. Jan. 27, 2020 9:29 am

thank you very much. Checking into everything.

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Mon. Jan. 27, 2020 9:46 am

Glad you’re ok and getting this fixed, if the motor is still ok you can save it for a spare, there are other videos that show you how to replace that motor and fan, never done it on a power venter but looks easy enough. be safe and let us know how you made out.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 27, 2020 10:30 am

Installer/dealer mistake...
Two different independent safetys should exist for safe operation...these save lives and property.

Wiring safety circuits shall never ever stop any exhaust venter...

One safety stops or shuts down the stoker/feeder from burning...in a failed over-temp situation.
Other, If a WMO-1 is used, likewise stops or shuts down the stoker/feeder from burning in a failed, blocked or restricted exhaust/venter situation.

CoalKracker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 460
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston Stove Co. Magnet No.2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice (reading coal co)

Post by CoalKracker » Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 9:26 pm

The heat slinger is used to cool the motor. The motor is thermally protected so when it over heats it shuts down instead of burning up. Replacing the heat slinger is easy. Remove the blower which is held onto the shaft by one set screw then the heat slinger which is also held onto the shaft by one set screw. Leisure line sells a powder coated heat slinger to help resist corrosion.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”