First time home buyer with Coal Furnace! Info Please?

amarsh818
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker Lite
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice Coal, Nut

Post by amarsh818 » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 12:02 am

Wow big space chris. Glad to hear the koker heats it well. From what I hear I will have no issue keeping the house warm. The lenders appraiser is going to the house tomorrow, hope that all goes well! I am going to make a few trips to the house over the next month and the homeowner is going to give me a good rundown of the stove in person. After my research and chatting with ya'll i feel very confident and am excited to start using the stove. I actually think I will be able to dial it in a bit better if I am to pipe some fresh air to the unit. We'll see! Any more commments are welcome!

Thanks guys.

-Andrew

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Feb. 22, 2020 12:47 pm

A marsh. Sorry didn’t get back to you sooner. I frequent the hand feed page more often as I have a 30/95 & 50/93 stoves in operation. Anyway. To answer the question you asked about “what happens when the power goes out”. Someone replied “you have 5 minutes to hook up a generator”. Well here’s my part of the answer... on my first stoker, it came with a marine battery and an inverter. The inverter plugged into the wall and the stoker plugged in to the inverter. It kept the battery charged and When the power went out the inverter would power the stove.

As for the insurance company, one thing you could to make them happy would be to install a few electric baseboard heaters in the areas that house the water pipes. That way in the event that you did loose power long enough to freeze pipes. The electric heaters would turn on and freezing wouldn’t happen. Now with a reality check - we all know that ‘won’t happen’. As the house retains heat and the heat would have to be off for a series of days for the house to get cold enough for the pipes to freeze. But a small investment just to make an insurance company happy might be a wise investment.
My house when built came with electric baseboard. It’s listed as the primary heating source although it’s not. I’ve lived here for almost 20 years and the baseboards haven’t been used since then. My insurance papers list ‘auxiliary heat - solid fuel’.
Since it’s been about a month - hopefully all is going the way your planning.

amarsh818

Post by amarsh818 » Fri. Mar. 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi ya'll! Sorry its been a while. Thanks for the response spacecadet.

We have been in the house for a couple of weeks now and the koker lite is running like a champ. I actually think I am going to shut her down soon. It has barely dropped below freezing recently and temps are climbing during the day. Also, I'd like to get the Hitzer 503 we have in the living room fired up and ride that out for the rest of the season. I will be posting a new thread over in the hand fed forum with some pics of the stove and a few questions if anyone would like to chime in.

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out over the past couple months with all of the helpful info. I don't know if we would have ended up in this house if I didn't stumble up this great forum and community of people. Chat soon.

Best,
Andrew

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 21, 2020 6:50 am

That's why we're all here A--sounds like a good idea on the 503---20* here on the hill this AM--yep, spring has sprung!!!! LOL

amarsh818

Post by amarsh818 » Sat. Mar. 21, 2020 7:52 am

Haha yup! Just perfect ain't it?!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”