Pocono With Swgii 4Hd Powerventer

birtja

Post by birtja » Sun. Jul. 20, 2008 8:53 am

I got a powerventer(swgii-4hd) on ebay that was new, never used, and the controller is a ck61.
after it came I am not sure it will work on pocono stove. $100 was great deal if worked but maybe I'm out a $100 oops. What controller does pocono need and any advice. Wife was against coal stove and now if I tell her power vent won't work .............oh well 37 years she will forgive me. Again :( . Glidden in Millinocket is a great place to shop for stoves if anyone is looking. Does not hurry you and just enjoys peoples. Great asset to Katahdin area..........hope stoves come in next week from Leisure Line. August we get snow in this area of Maine!
Thanks for any advice,
Jon Birt

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Sun. Jul. 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi Jon,
I can't tell you too much about that PV. The one we use is a SWG-4HDs. (Heavy duty stainless). It comes complete with a speed control, 4/6 stainless reducer, WMO-1 safety switch and a barometric damper.
Thanks,
Jerry

birtja

Post by birtja » Sun. Jul. 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Maybe best to use power venter with oil furnace. Jerry, do you know the model of the controller and can you buy speed control separate from Leisure line? Wmo-1 are not expense.

Thanks again, ever in Maine stop for coffee.
Jon

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Sun. Jul. 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Any 3 amp or above will work. Make sure you take out the damper, it acts as a bridge for fly ash. Also, cut open the screen on the wheel, but do not remove the screen. It needs to be on for safety for kids.
Jerry

bobo

Post by bobo » Tue. Jul. 22, 2008 6:17 am

So, Jerry, you are saying to remove the damper if you are using it for an oil burner? Just looking for clarification.

Rob

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Tue. Jul. 22, 2008 8:01 pm

No, just remove the damper for Leisure Line Stoves. I can't speak for other coal stoves or oil.
Jerry

brokenchevy

Post by brokenchevy » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 10:00 am

I talked with the techs at the company that makes that kind of powervent. They did not recommend any of their powervents to be used on coal burners due to the high temp. They have not tested them or advise anyone to use them, as it may melt, or catch on fire. So be careful with what you use it on

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Many Coal stoves use the Field Controls SWG Power vent, you just have to make sure you get the stainless one and it sized correctly for your BTU output so it can exhaust the fumes correctly. The exhausts are not that much higher than a regular gas or oil furnance that use power vents.

Leisure Line has the SWG power vents listed right on their website. http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 4:18 pm

The Field Controls SWG 4HDS is the only UL listed PV for coal stoves, Alaska and LL hold separate UL listings for their stoves. In my experience no one at Field Controls knows anything about the use of their products for coal stoves. As Jerry said you have to remove the damper only to operate with a coal stove due to fly ash issues. MAke sure you regularly clean and lube the unit once it's in operation and it will last you many years, I have see unit fail after less than one season due to heavy usage and no maint. :P

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”