Rookie here!!! Need some help guys/gals

Blackhawk804

Post by Blackhawk804 » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 10:02 am

Hello,
I recently purchased a DS coal burning insert (Anthra Max Model DSFP16) for my 100 year old two story farm house. The house has a fireplace that is on the first floor and we are getting a 3/16 stainless insulated liner installed when they install my insert. I have researched the efficiency of burning anthracite coal now for a little over two years and have finally saved up enough money to begin my new project. I have a few questions for you all to help me out and keep my family safe. Look forward to hearing from anyone that can help this Kentucky fellow out. Thank you in advance.

1) One major concern (which may not be a huge concern once I hear from you all) is how to I prevent any sort of coal explosion in the house? I have researched starting videos online and most say the same thing.

2)What is the best carbon monoxide detector for my application?

3) I know everyone has an opinion but what is the benefit over nut coal vs. pea? I have ordered a ton of anthracite off of a local Amish gentlemen who also heats his home with the nut coal. Is pea any better?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 10:25 am

Welcome to the forum!! :clap:

The first question is why the liner??

I use a kidde nighthawk CO monitor...actually a couple of them....and I also have the standard smoke / CO alarms. The monitors are nice because you get to see a CO level before it hits the alarm point (if you pay attention to them!) They have a 'Peak' button that shows the saved high level it saw even if the current reading is 0.

Pea coal will pack tighter than nut coal on the grates and allow less airflow through it meaning a slower burning fire all else the same. The bigger size than nut is stove coal which some use to get more air flow and a hotter quicker burning fire than nut. Some mix the sizes to get an in-between burn. Starting with the nut and adjusting the primary airflow will most likely work well for you.

Blackhawk804

Post by Blackhawk804 » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 11:41 am

Titleist 1,
I was told I needed a chimney liner since my chimney is so old. Am I wasting money by having the liner installed in conjunction with the insert?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 11:49 am

Could you please post a pic of your chimney (from outside or from attic if its interior) & liner looking up the fireplace?

Unfortunately the SS liner is a popularly recommended sale item ($$$$) and not needed in a lot of cases. If you have a clay tile liner in a chimney that is not oversized then the sure to fail SS liner is not needed.

You may only need a short length of exhaust pipe from the coal stove to get past the damper in the fireplace to the open chimney. A pic would help a lot.

Also...to answer your puff back question.... Those can be eliminated if you are careful with loading new coal and supplying air while loading.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Anthracite (hard coal) does not have near the volatiles of soft coal (Bituminous) and is much less likely to cause puff backs or similar events. So you're on the right track there.

Welcome to the board! Don't worry, we'll not only help you with questions and settings, we will FEED YOUR COAL ADDICTION! (yeah, you'll have one after you get that beauty dialed in and fall in love with the heat and efficiency)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Liners are for wood and creosote when clay liner is either faulty or absent.
Coal will be better without flex SS liner even with no clay liner if just the bricks are sound.
For same cost of a SS flex liner have them repair any of the bricks, if needed.
SS flex liner will be eaten by flyash corrosion and crumble to pieces with possible blocking of chimney which can backup carbon monoxide into the home...don't beleive any warranty BS either...

Blackhawk804

Post by Blackhawk804 » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Thanks to all for the information!!! I am looking forward to the install.

Thanks CoalisCoolxWarm!! I am going to start out with the nut coal from PA and go from there. My house is approximately 2300 sq ft and we have a dual fuel furnace that operates on LP once outside temp is below 40 therefore, I hope to trick the inside thermostat by putting our heater on a lower power setting and rolling the coal baby!!!!

I'm sure I will be back on here for extra support for this green horn lol.

Anyone know where I can get one of those old school coal buckets and pan for the hearth? I like the old fashioned stuff.

Odyknuck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Circulator #1500 W/ blower modification
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal
Other Heating: House - Propane Forced air furnace. Garage - Hydronic in the concrete floor with Pellet stove supplement.

Post by Odyknuck » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 3:50 pm

All good suggestions. I would add that a ton of coal will not get ya very far. Better add 3 or 4 tons to your pile lol

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Fri. Nov. 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Blackhawk804 wrote:
Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 12:31 pm
Anyone know where I can get one of those old school coal buckets and pan for the hearth? I like the old fashioned stuff.
A coal scuttle? I got one at an estate auction. Check antique stores as well.

Attachments

IMG_20191115_224322_7.jpg
.JPG | 295.3KB | IMG_20191115_224322_7.jpg

Blackhawk804

Post by Blackhawk804 » Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 9:54 am

Thank you!!!

Blackhawk804

Post by Blackhawk804 » Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 10:13 am

Okay, so apparently I have made a mistake according to others on this forum by having a liner installed. The liner was installed per manufacturer's recommendation so I have already done it, its over and done, no going back. It is made of the heavy grade stainless steel (one used for the higher temps coal produces). I need some help with getting the DS Anthra-Max insert started. I may have made some operator errors along the way lol. Please help me out if anyone can. I would greatly appreciate it.

1) I used a bag of match light and lit it outside in my grill starter.
2) I then poured those coals into my stove (was told to use this to prevent glass from getting dirty)
3) Everything looked like it was going well, so I added a few scoops of Anthracite from my coal shovel.
4) I had my air wash on Medium and my Air Regulator on Medium as well (as instructed by manual).
5) It seemed like the stove improved when I opened up a ash door a bit to get additional oxygen so I increased the AR to High and the Air wash to High as well without much change.
6) Getting a bit aggravated at this point I said heck with the clear glass and started a small wood fire in the box (like directions said I could) and stove seemed to fire up so I added additional coal to bed while a few flames were present to burn off volatile gases.
7) Figured stove wasnt getting enough O2 so I kept AR on High and Air Wash on High the whole time and stove eventually petered out.
8) Went to bed, said I would consult the online experts in the morning.

**** Please help me out as I am frustrated because I apparently now have a heavy duty (coal accepted) liner that I didn't need, and my stove wont light.
*** I thought I may need to just relax and build a bigger wood fire in order to establish a really nice set of hot coals prior to introduction of coal to them.
*** I also may have to adjust my air regulator chain in order to open the flapper door (on DS models) in order to give the stove more O2 at the Higher operating temp.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 10:35 am

You need some over fire air at start up, but too much can kill the air coming up through the grates, which is what you need for the coal. cut way back on the air wash, and do open the ash door for maximum draft.

With the ash door open, stay with the stove in order to close it when fire is brisk. The air flap needs to be barely open with an established fire. coal bed should be 8 inches deep and cover the whole grate.

Blackhawk804

Post by Blackhawk804 » Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 10:37 am

I also saw this and the outside air was around 55 so this may be part of the problem as well.

CAUTION—DON’T ATTEMPT TO START COAL FIRES UNTIL THE TEMPERATURE OUTSIDE FALLS BELOW 55 DEGREES ON A 24 HOUR A DAY BASIS-YOUR CHIMNEY WILL NOT DEVELOP ENOUGH DRAFT UNLESS OUTSIDE TEMPERATURES ARE BELOW THIS.

*** I found this link online, it seems to be correct. https://www.hearth.com/articles/2015/10/17/coal-t ... coal-fire/
I will try it again once temps drop

Blackhawk804

Post by Blackhawk804 » Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 10:40 am

Franco B,

Thank you for the quick response Sir!!
So, turn my air wash down to low and keep ash door open (and stay near) while ignition occurs?
Do I keep the air regulator on low as well?

*Sorry, you have to break out the Crayons for me sometimes.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 28, 2019 11:06 am

You got the right idea. Don't worry, some learning curve is required for running a coal fire. You'll be an expert in no time..

For start up - I use the woody "lump" charcoal. It burns white hot and easily ignites the Anthracite. With a COLD stove, put in a 4 inch layer of lump charcoal and soak with lighter fluid. Light it, close the load door, leave the ash door open. Once the lump charcoal settles down and you see lots of red coals add in a 15 pound layer of Anthracite. Once you get some blue fire and the layer looks ignited, add another 15 pound layer. Repeat this layering process until the fire is built up to the top of the fire brick, all the while the ash door is open. This whole lighting process might take an hour so dont get impatient.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”