new to me Harman super magnum

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 11:11 am

I am not getting any replies about my pictures I don't know if that is a lack of familularity with the super magnum or that I did not make it clear what the purpose of the picture posting was. I am thinking that there should be some type of cover or shield over the gearbox motor and if anything else does not look right. I am expecting a damper to arrive any day now I am really hope to be ready to go by then. I am going to plug it in today and turn it on the test mode. When I do this what should I be able to observe, the pusher running, and the combustion blower I assume?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 5:59 pm

I don't get email about replies from this site for some reason.

You have the hopper off? looks like it. Other then that it looks ok. But looks don't tell the whole story.

Yes test mode will make the feed motor turn and the pusher block will go in and out. The combustion motor will be on as well. Not sure about the forced air motor. I don't test enough as I haven't had many issues and I'm always looking mostly at the feed system.
What I do to light and get going is this. Put coal in (first make sure the push bar area is free of any large chunks) I put enough to cover the push bar area. I also fill the inside cavity behind the grate and lead that over the grate some. I put cowboy charcoal on the main part of the grate were the holes are surrounded by Rice. I also turn the feed amount on the side to 2 1/2 and the temp to higher then room temp so the stove wants to kick in and catch up. Once it starts I turn it back to my desired temp.
I light the charcoal with a torch just a little. Turn the stove on and let it go.
After a while ( few hours or so) I turn the temp to the desired temp. That's it.

My combustion blower motor gate is about 1/2 way open. And the forced air setting is about 1/3 of the way. When needed it goes to full on it's own.

Also where the feed motor shaft comes out check the shaft and find the allen nut that locks the shaft with the feed motor. Check to see if it will snug down more. If the fork turns but there isn't much feeding of the push bar measure the distance between the fork tangs. I don't know the measurement but some here do as it's been posted. 1 3/4 in? maybe? not sure. Even with much blockage over the years mine has never bent open.

dcveem3
Stoker Coal Boiler: Someday!
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (temp basement duty)
Other Heating: Propane/Heat Pump

Post by dcveem3 » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 6:09 pm

https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/ ... er_Mag.pdf

Download it and check it out. I am not familiar with that stove but it does appear to be missing a couple of covers? One that go's over the feed motor and one that goes on the side? Hard to tell from your pictures. I use matchlight charcoal but I suppose it's the same as cowboy charcoal? I also use a propane torch like Caper does. Get the charcoal going pretty good and then surround them with coal. Fire off the combustion blower and make sure things are glowing and red cinders are flying about.

You'll get it...patience and surfing the web/this site will pay-off.

Don

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks very much for the replies, I will use your setting recommendations and lighting procedure when I am ready to start it. Right now I am waiting to get my hopper repaired and back on and order a room sensor for it. There is a harman stove dealer not far from me that had a used super magnum for sale a couple of weeks ago, I am going to check to see if they still have it and go look it over for comparison. Also the link to the pdf file for the manual was very helpful as I found the part # for the room sensor. thanks again

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 10:22 am

I ran it in test mode this morning and everything seems to work, how far should the pusher block move, it only appears to move approx. 3/4 inch. The spread on the fork is 2 inches.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 11:10 am

Here is a link to a fork issue post. Harman Magnum Stoker Feed Fork Problem Said 1 3/4 in inside to inside.
I can't measure mine. Can't get at it being the stove is close to the wall. I'd go to that store and talk with owner. Ask to measure his. And maybe plug in and measure feed bar travel too. A good dealer would help being he would win a customer for parts,etc.
I don't think the bar travels far really. 3/4 in might be on the small side if I remember.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Fork for Magnum and Super Magnum are not the same measurement.
Magnum is 1-3/4", that's all I know...

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sat. Nov. 16, 2019 7:20 am

wonder how he's doing? hate silence. problem solved?

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 7:33 am

I know I haven't updated for awhile as the guy who is fixing my hopper is quite busy although I think he will have it done this week. I did check the used one at the dealer and everything looks the same as mine. I have bought two co detectors, a dwyer 25 manometer, fields barometric damper, and new stainless steel stove pipe, so as soon as the hopper is back it should be ready to go. Today I intend to buff the grates so the coal will feed more easily, and then seal them in place. That is about all for now, will update soon when I attempt to fire up.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 12:17 pm

creekscout wrote:
Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 7:33 am
I know I haven't updated for awhile as the guy who is fixing my hopper is quite busy although I think he will have it done this week. I did check the used one at the dealer and everything looks the same as mine. I have bought two co detectors, a dwyer 25 manometer, fields barometric damper, and new stainless steel stove pipe, so as soon as the hopper is back it should be ready to go. Today I intend to buff the grates so the coal will feed more easily, and then seal them in place. That is about all for now, will update soon when I attempt to fire up.
Nice. Listen. I've never buffed these grates. With that said check the opening on the combustion motor in the back. Mine is near 1/2 way open. Vacuum or blow out dust from that part to under the front grates. I seal them with Stove Cement on the outer edges not in the center. Clean the grates and surfaces good then dampen them all before applying the cement.
The doors take a 3/8 gasket it seems.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 7:11 pm

Thanks for the advice, yes I plan to seal the outer sides and the front and back, however after seeing that the previous owner had used cement on them and used too much so that the front, back and side rows of holes were mostly blocked up with cement, and intend to be more careful.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 8:47 pm

creekscout wrote:
Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 7:11 pm
Thanks for the advice, yes I plan to seal the outer sides and the front and back, however after seeing that the previous owner had used cement on them and used too much so that the front, back and side rows of holes were mostly blocked up with cement, and intend to be more careful.
You don't need alot for sure. I smoothed any off with a damp rag if the cement spilled out of the seam into the open.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 2:10 pm

Ok, I am back and almost ready to start a fire and was wondering what method most of you use to start a fire in the super magnum. Also the hole above the ashdoor to check firebox pressure is there a plastic or metal plug in the hole and is it threaded or pushed in?

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 5:26 pm

I must have had a blonde moment thinking it could have been a plastic plug, I looked at it closer and see that it is metal with a allen head which I have not been able to break loose yet.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 8:57 pm

I didn't bother using that hole for adjusting the damper. I tapped into the flue pipe with brass tubing from Homedepot.
I tried many fire starting methods. Best I've found is to use "cowboy charcoal" from TSC I think. Maybe Lowes. Grind up a handful of pieces and put them on top of the holes in the grate. surrounded by the Rice. Maybe mix in some rice amoung the Charcoal. LIght it with a propane touch a few seconds. Shut the door and it'll take off fast.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”