new to me Harman super magnum

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Wed. Oct. 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Hello, I am a new member as I found this site yesterday after I bought a super magnum and was searching the web for any info on this stove. I have been using a Harman CW30 for the last 10 years, but this year I was looking to upgrade to a different stove as replacement parts for the CW30 are becoming scarce. I have been searching for a Mark II or Mark III Harman but then a listing on CL showed up yesterday morning and I could not pass it up. I have not even unloaded it from my truck yet but I am really anxious to get it in the basement in a day or two. I am sure I will have many questions in the coming days. I have read some posts and I have never heard of a manometer. I also am going to have to purchase a barometric damper, any recommendations? That is all for now, glad I found this site.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Oct. 30, 2019 10:48 pm

Welcome! :)

Fields Type RC barometric draft damper is most popular one, Fields also makes a Type M for coal.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Thu. Oct. 31, 2019 6:52 am

McGiever, Thank you for your welcome and your recommendation, I will look for a fields damper.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Thu. Oct. 31, 2019 7:02 am

Okay, I found this one online, will that be a good choice, also does it matter whether it is installed in a vertical or horizontal section of the stove pipe?

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 31, 2019 10:59 am

No, they can be installed in any position of pipe, but needs to be installed both plumb and level to be accurate.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Nov. 01, 2019 7:48 am

You'll love this stove. Mine runs 24/7 from Oct 1st to May some time. 70 deg f in home 24/7 never turn it down. Must be 7 or 8 seasons now.
Works hard in my 1800 sq ft home when temps get well below zero nights on end. Chilly here in Northern NH.
Only mechanical issue I had was the grates loosened and burnt up. I might of loosened them while dragging ash off to build a new fire.
All other issues are chunks of coal get by me and collect in front of the feeder push block and won't let new coal drop down in front of the block. Thus fire stays near idle after a while. I know when that happens when my thermometer in my living area drops from 70 deg to 60's in cold weather.
I should make a screen to filter the Rice when loading into my storage bin next to the stove. But It's not that frequent.
The stove works hard here in these brutal winters we have in Northern NH. and being in a large Cape style home with doors opening a lot for work loading and other things.
I have the stove in the basement with the front air vents closed with their kit. All hot air is forced via a flexible insulated duck work to the living area upstairs. Thermostat is their as well. Extended the wire which is fine. Keeps the home within a degree or two the most. And the basement from the radient heat stays upper sixty's. That makes the floors warm upstairs and gives me a warm work area in the basement.

dcveem3
Stoker Coal Boiler: Someday!
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (temp basement duty)
Other Heating: Propane/Heat Pump

Post by dcveem3 » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 7:16 pm

Super Mag is a great stove....tried to get one but I lost it. Settled for a Magnum and it's been great. These guys are a wealth of info. Enjoy!

Don

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 12:07 pm

OK I have a couple of questions to help me get this thing ready to use. I am trying to remove the squirrel cage from my combustion fan and I need to know what size set screw is holding in on as I cannot try different size wrenches in there because whatever size it takes will have to be cut down to get in there. Also a room sensor did not come with it so I looked in the parts description and cannot find a part # listed for this, can anyone tell me a part # to use to order one? I presently have the hopper removed to reline it with some aluminum sheet as it is very thin from corrosion. This makes it very easy for me to see all the components and get a general idea of how everything operates and do any maintenance that is necessary. I also would like to know what areas should be lubricated? That is all for now but I am sure there will be more questions to come, thank you for your assistance.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Why do you want to remove the blower wheel? If you want to clean the blades, just use an old toothbrush.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 1:01 pm

I did already clean the blades with a toothbrush,but I see a lot a fines in the bottom of the housing that I would like to be able to remove.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Would it be easier to tip the removed blower and the fines fall out?
Can you not remove the whole motor and squirrel cage out as a unit?
There is usually a notch to reach straight through that squirrel cage, so no need to cut hex key.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 10:22 pm

I use compressed air to remove the dust, outside of course. I also rinse the blades with the kitchen sink spray nozzle, and then blow it all out with compressed air again, and lube with oil and reinstall. I have a Keystoker 90 and do it for both the combustion and convection fans.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 6:51 am

I will check to see how much is required to remove the blower. I also took a couple pictures of the entire motor and pusher area that I hope to post to find out if everything seems to be correct.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 12:38 pm

on my super mag all I do is slide the combustion motor out of it's track and blow out the dust with air. I bet a good vac would do the same. The dust usually comes right off the blades,etc.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 8:24 pm

here are some pictures I would like to know if everything looks proper.

Attachments

stove2.JPG
.JPG | 59.6KB | stove2.JPG
stove1.JPG
.JPG | 50.9KB | stove1.JPG
stove3.JPG
.JPG | 50.9KB | stove3.JPG

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”