Newbie chimney?

Bluesdad
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50 93
Other Heating: Electric heat pump

Post by Bluesdad » Sun. Oct. 06, 2019 5:54 pm

Ok new to coal. burned wood for years. This will be the first time ever for coal. Have a few questions. 1575 square feet single level with open floor plan. Insulated very well. Was heating with a small Dorlet. No problem. I have a electric heat pump also.I live in eastern ohio. I picked up a used Hitzer 50 93 with hopper but no blower.I put new bricks,gaskets,and paint, grates look new. And two tons of nut coal. My questions are about the draft. The online manual said to have .03 to .06 draft. Should I install a manometer? To see this reading and a barometric damper? Or can I control this with the stove air regulators? I know I will have to throttle it back quite a bit. With under 1600 sf and it capable of 2500. But don't want to burn a bunch of coal up the chimney either. Thanks in advance

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Oct. 06, 2019 8:39 pm

There are lots of burners here with your stove but i am unsure they will find your post. Your new stove is handfired, not a stoker, the category you are in.

Nothing wrong with hooking up a manometer to it. Then if you ever do have problems it helps you troubleshoot the problem. Most with your stove, almost all, do not use a barometric damper with your stove, just a manual pipe damper, if they even have that. Your air intake controls the fire. When it needs heat it opens and lets air in, when it gets hot it closes. Quite simple but effective.

Do a search for 50-93 and you'll have enough to read for a month. lots of posts on them and lots of happy burners.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sun. Oct. 06, 2019 11:25 pm

I have a Hitzer 50-93 and it’s little brother 30-95. The manometer is highly recommended. It is used to dial in the baro draft control. .03-.06 is what Hitzer recommends. Mine is set @.04. When there is wind the baro will start to flap and keep the draft in check. With real high winds and the draft control not set right - I’ve seen the manometer bounce to .07/.08. Anyway sometimes the flap starts jiggling like a kid shaking maracas. As for the dial heat control. It’s actually awesome. Once you get the baro set and the dial figured out ( make slight adjustments Any more makes a big difference). After you get everything set, the manometer will just be something you’ll look at when the wind is blowing. It’s also a great conversation piece with company. That stove you have will heat and keep your family cozy all winter long.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”