Coal furnace Maintenance ?

coaltime
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line 110k btu
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by coaltime » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi, I have a leisure line coal furnace hot air 110k btu's. I recently purchased it used and it needs to be cleaned. I am new to coal and have tried searching online on how to clean it out and what I should check to make sure it is safe to use with no luck. I am going to replace the cord around both doors. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Thank you

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Easy partner, no need to post twice on different parts of the forum. :D

I have no idea but someone will come along soon and answer your question or ask for pictures of your furnace...did I mention we love pictures? You are in luck as we're coming into the heating season and folks start reappearing from their summer naps about this time. Sit back, search a little, and enjoy. Great bunch of folks here that live to help each other save money and stay warm.

Welcome to the forum!

coaltime
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line 110k btu
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by coaltime » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 7:21 pm

I didn't mean to post it twice but I accidentally posted it in the wrong spot but didn't know how to delete the first one. Sorry about that.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Welcome.

Making sure the unit is clean and has good gaskets is a great start. Some of the motors might require a drop or two of oil, and there is likely a way to clean out fines from under the grate. The Leisure Line experts will walk you through that stuff.

When you get this unit installed, make sure you purchase a manometer or draft gauge to get the combustion air/draft dialed in.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Don't worry about it, someone will take care of it. Just busting your hump a little, it's what happens around here to the regulars. :lol:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 7:44 pm

It was taken care of a while ago.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Sep. 12, 2019 9:23 pm

I do use and maintain a Pocono 110k. Everything that Rob says but there is one more gotcha. The grate must be lifted off and cleaned out ... every hole cleaned out and then one more important item. The strongback (a fancy term for the back of the grate) should have the gasket scraped off, replaced with a flat gasket and glued in place. Lowes sells that gasket set made by Imperial. That air gap must be sealed or the fire can creep back to the base of the hopper ... not good. If I can be of any more help let me know.

ottobody
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Lil heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS comfort max 75
Coal Size/Type: Rice, nut
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by ottobody » Fri. Sep. 13, 2019 7:32 am

Just did the maintenance on my LL lil Heater yesterday and my Comfort Max 75. The Lil Heater I pull the motors off and clean the squirrel cages with small brass wire brush and clean the inside of the motor with air and WD-40. I also check the feed system and pull the grass, vacuum the fines out and use a 1/8 drill bit to clean any air holes. I let the WD-40 drain run the motors to dry and then lube with white lithium grease and silicone while running the motors. Brought both of these motors back to health after having problems last year. I did purchase new motors for spares just in case. The Comfort max 75 was taken apart and cleaned out. Gaskets were replaced as needed and the stove pipe and chimney was cleaned out. A days work! All set for the heating season and hopefully no problems!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”