Rice Only?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 10:25 am

You will push burning coal off the end of the grate before you will overheat the cast iron grate.. It is pretty hard to overheat a stoker grate,, maybe with a blocked end of the grate, allowing the coal to build up in the center, or blocked air supply holes so the coal has to burn more in the center.. I can't really see it happening with a properly maintained stoker.

Greg L.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Aug. 04, 2008 10:28 am

Hi MT, I'm assuming you have a barometric damper installed in the chimney flue of the Hyfire 1 ?? If not, then this is likely where a lot of your heat is going.. I heated my shop with a Hyfire 1, and it did a good job.. they make lots of heat..

I'm currious how many sq.ft are you heating, and is it a shop or a house? How well is it insulated??

Greg L

MT

Post by MT » Tue. Aug. 05, 2008 12:44 am

Hi Greg, I do have a barometric damper and I monitor the stove very carefully with a manometer. The house is fairly new, well insulated and good windows. I,m heating about 3200 sq. feet. I'll try and post some pictures of my stove and the jacket that I made.
Mike.

coalisorganic

Post by coalisorganic » Tue. Aug. 05, 2008 3:07 pm

You will push burning coal off the end of the grate before you will overheat the cast iron grate.. It is pretty hard to overheat a stoker grate,, maybe with a blocked end of the grate, allowing the coal to build up in the center, or blocked air supply holes so the coal has to burn more in the center.. I can't really see it happening with a properly maintained stoker.
I would have thought that if the airflow was greatly increased over the factory specs then even on a clean stoker the rate of burning could make enought heat to cause a problem. I hope I am wrong. :lol:

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Tue. Aug. 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi ,
When playing with the combustion fan you need to be very careful. If too much air is induced into the stove with a less then perfect draft, you will pressurize the stove. Gas will leak from everywhere. Also when adding a bigger (cfm) fan many things take place, some not good. If a bigger fan is added, this will cause the coal on the grate to levitate. In turn if the coal levitates (gets lighter) as it goes across the grate, it will move easier and inturn use more coal. More coal coming across the grate at a faster rate means one thing, incomplete burn. There is one correst answer to 2 pages of rice only, that's RICE ONLY.
Hope this helped,
Jerry

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”