Coal troll operations

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sun. Sep. 08, 2019 10:50 am

I’ve acquired a like new Hitzer 608 with a coal troll. I got it in a trade deal for a car. Figured it might be a good stove for my garage but I’m second guessing it. I have a 50-93 that I had originally planned on using in there this year. Last year, I had an Alaska Channing II which I sold that worked great in there. Anyway my coal troll question is how low does it goes? I mean what’s the lowest temp I can set it on? My garage is a large metal building that is foam board insulated that I just want to keep from freezing. I don’t need the stove to keep it to any special desired temperature. Last year with the Alaska stoker, I just turned down the feed rate a few rounds to keep a slow low burn which worked fine. When I wanted to spend some time in there I would twist a few rounds into the feeder. That stove would keep the garage temp at least 20-30 degrees above outside temps and coal usage would be minimal. Basically, I don’t need to keep the temp at any steady temp. Just above freezing. For the days I plan on being in there I would need to crank it up hours before entering. For the time I actually spend in there it’s not worth wasting coal to keep the garage to a set warm temp.
Not sure if I should just put in the 50-93 and sell off the 608 stoker. I received a power vent with it that won’t work for my garage as I already have chimney.

pete8116
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line Pioneer Rear Vent

Post by pete8116 » Sun. Sep. 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Spacecadet, the lowest coal-trol setting is 45 degrees.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”