Looking to get into using coal heat

Trumpeterb
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Electric baseboards (hopefully never use these again)

Post by Trumpeterb » Sun. Nov. 03, 2019 10:07 am

I also live in an all electric house. No furnace though...baseboard heat. Talk about expensive!! My first winter here I was seeing electric bills between $450-$500, and that was 16 years ago! This would probably be pushing $600 today. I started off by installing a wood stove in my basement. This heated the basement well, and the immediate area above the stove too. The bedrooms and bathrooms were still freezing...so I messed around with box fans to try and move heat around. No go. I eventually sold that stove and installed a gasification wood boiler. I had access to “free” wood, so win! I put pex under the floors and designed a hydronic heating system running off circulators and zone valves. It worked great! Nice and warm...and “free.” I use quotations around that word because anyone who cuts, splits, stacks, and hauls 8-10 cords of wood every year understands the price you pay isn’t monetary. As I got older I just couldn’t physically do it as easily. As my children got older and involved in activities, I didn’t have the time. And the mess...oh the mess it made in my house..ashes, bugs, dirt, wood chips and bark. 12 years later (four or five months ago actually) I sold the wood boiler and purchased an AHS Coalgun 130. I couldn’t do a furnace, as I have no ductwork. Best decision I ever made in terms of heating my house. Cheaper than electric, easier than wood (and cheaper than wood were you to buy wood), reliable, efficient, and my house is an even 72°. You will be very happy moving to coal. If putting up a chimney is the biggest part of the install, trust me...it will be worth it.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”