Alaska 140 or Keystoker A-150?

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
irishmas

Post Fri. Jul. 11, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm replacing my Alaska Kast Konsole III with either the Alaska 140 Auger or the Keystoker A-150. Any comments on either of these two models would be greatly appreciated. BTW- I'll be tying into my existing HVAC ductwork, heating a 2700 sf 2 story house, no accessibility/space problems, POWER VENT OR DIRECT VENT NEEDED! Thanks alot. -Glen

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post Fri. Jul. 11, 2008 6:37 pm

I can't help with the answer, but from what I've read, don't sell the old one until the new one is in your hands!
Orrington, Maine
Fred

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

irishmas

Post Fri. Jul. 11, 2008 10:16 pm

No doubt about that! It seems to me that the secret is out. I hope the manufacturers can meet the huge increase in demand before the price of quality stoves gets out of hand. Anyway, does anyone know if I can direct or power vent the Keystoker? Thanks.

coal berner
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post Fri. Jul. 11, 2008 11:23 pm

irishmas wrote:I'm replacing my Alaska Kast Konsole III with either the Alaska 140 Auger or the Keystoker A-150. Any comments on either of these two models would be greatly appreciated. BTW- I'll be tying into my existing HVAC ductwork, heating a 2700 sf 2 story house, no accessibility/space problems, POWER VENT OR DIRECT VENT NEEDED! Thanks alot. -Glen

You Will Get The Alaska 140 way before the Keystoker 150 Keystoker are Dunn taking orders until next year Alaska has
a 4 to 6 week wait Start call around now and find one ASAP There is alot of info on Power Vent & Direct vent use The
Search box at the top right for more info
J.C.

Heating house & water with a 1986 electric furnace man DF520 using buckwheat Anthracite coal

Complete Heat
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: AA-130/FHA

Post Sat. Jul. 12, 2008 12:10 am

The Keystoker A-150 is more of a heavy duty unit than the Alaska 140. The Alaska 140 (auger feed) has a better burner than the Keystoker, but it is not as heavy duty . That being said I have heated my house (3200 sq. ft) with the 140 Auger for the past 3 years with great success. The Alaska can still be had, the Keystoker you can expect to see around Dec/Jan if you are lucky.

Mike
Heating with coal, driving with waste vegetable oil. Screw OPEC.

irishmas

Post Sun. Jul. 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm starting to get cocerned regarding the availabilty if stoves.

Mike- If it's not too much trouble, can you provide me with some details regarding your set-up (HVAC tie-in?), location, and coal usage? And what did you mean by Alaskas burner being better than the Keystoker? Thanks again.
-Glen

stokin-railroad
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160k

Post Sun. Jul. 13, 2008 4:56 pm

I have a keysyoker koker.it is hooked to plenum of fha oil furnace no cold air return hooked yet.leisure line has a diagram for hook-up they recomend hooking to cold air return which is what I was told by a friend that was in hvac business for 15 years.he said it should work better with a "natural convection" mine worked well as was installed but I will be trying l.l s setup this next season.i really beleive it will work better although last season was not a dissapointment.it was 70*or higher at all times,very comfortable.get what you can at this point,all mfgrs.are swamped with orders and building as fast as they can.if ordering do it asap,i waited 7 weeks last nov.for a 1-2 week order.but it was worth the wait! :D

Complete Heat
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: AA-130/FHA

Post Mon. Jul. 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Glen,
Go to
**Broken Link(s) Removed** and you will see the picture of the Model 140 Auger tied into the ducts. I have the hot water coil (double loop) tied into my propane hot water heater. I turn the water heater off 1 November, and don't turn it back on until the spring. The Alaska 140 Auger uses a burner system designed by EFM. The thing works great. It will hold the smallest of fires with ease, and can get a huge fire going in no time. The unit is rated at 170,000 btu, but it can put out more than it is rated for. I love the unit. the only problem that I have had with it is 2 oversized chunks of coal jammed the auger. Not the fault of the stove.

I am taking the 140 out and putting in an Axeman-Anderson 130 so that I can get plenty of hot water year round, and also so that I can learn the product, as I am a new dealer for them, and thus will be able to provide better service to my A-A customers.

The Keystoker is going to be a longer wait. I just ordered another 15 stoves from Keystoker, and they are running about 12 weeks now. The hand fired units are no longer available for this year. I sold 2 hand fired inserts, and could have sold a third, but I cannot get them now. Apparently they take too much time to build, and they are throwing their resources at the boilers.

Alaska is a 5 week wait. If you wait until september, who knows. Ken at Alaska does not expect to get more than 8 weeks behind. I wish him luck. I am selling a lot of Alaska units because of low cost and ease of availability. I have not ordered any in for stock as of yet, but I will probably get a bunch of channings to have on the shelf for the October rush.

Mike
Heating with coal, driving with waste vegetable oil. Screw OPEC.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”