Had to shut down, high co readings.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Mar. 28, 2019 8:03 pm

i noticed an odor in the house this evening when i got home.
checked the carbon monoxide alarms and they read 36 ppm and 41 ppm.
a few days ago i noticed the coal in the stove was getting wet, could not figure it out. the hopper lid would be dripping wet.
either the stove is clogged or the power vent is clogged. I shut the stove down and i will clean it out in the morning.

i did clean the power vent and the stove about 3 months ago, i did notice my coal has a lot of fines in it. maybe that made it accumulate flyash faster.

anyway i will be glad that this is hopefully the last season for the power vent.

looking forward to the efm from steve!

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 1:19 pm

power vent was clogged.
cleaning it up now. good thing is it is warm outside and i have oil i need to use up.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Classic reason of why we need CO detectors, and one with a digital readout if possible. Glad you got it figured out.

My Dad had 2, neither with digital readout. This winter one died. 2 or 3 days later the other one died, during a blizzard of course. He uses a propane furnace. Even though we figured out they were bought together and started the same day, so died at the same time, you have to trust them so he lit a wood fire for a few days until I could bring him 2 new ones.

Many people have died not trusting that their detector was right, is the reason I think people should have a digital one.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Mar. 29, 2019 2:21 pm

yea i have two of them with the digital readout, one on the first floor and one upstairs in my room.
stove is cleaned and ready to fire up again sunday afternoon.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”