Alaska stoker stove 2 using allot of coal

Ski910
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska stoker 2
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ski910 » Mon. Mar. 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi let’s start with I’m new to burning coal. I just recently purchased a Alaska stoker 2. I love the stove and puts out good heat but I am burning through about 100 lbs of coal in 24 hours on setting 1 to 1 1/2 and that’s seems like a bit much to me . Also I noticed some unburnt coal in the ashes . I’m looking for some advice about maybe slowing down the feed rate to see if I can get a better burn and save some money on coal but I’m a little confused about how to do this any advice would be really appreciated ..thank you

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40

Post by BostonBob » Mon. Mar. 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi ski910 and welcome, I have an Alaska Gnome 40, I burn about 35lbs a day in cold weather. Now That its getting warmer out it’s less.
99D0F1C1-CEB8-435C-85DA-88C31C0731D3.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | 99D0F1C1-CEB8-435C-85DA-88C31C0731D3.jpeg
this is my setting and I usually turn down the fan too, as it gets warm during the day l’ll turn the dial down to the 1st line and the fan off See if that helps and remember it will take a little bit for the changes to take effect. Let us know how it works out for you

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Mon. Mar. 25, 2019 9:48 pm

every heating situation is different. how warm you keep your house, how much your house leaks, etc...what works for others may or may not work for your requirements. you should be able to turn the feed down or temp down a little.

just make small adjustments and let it settle out. Coal takes time to react. it doesn't heat up right away.

We all have a little unburnt coal in the ashes. if you have a lot, your feed rate might be up to high or combustion blower not up high enough.

StanT

Post by StanT » Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 7:20 am

Maybe your holes are blocked for the combustion air. Did you check the unburnt pieces to see if they are coal or slate?

Good luck, Stant

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove

Post by k-2 » Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 8:31 pm

Ski910 wrote:
Mon. Mar. 25, 2019 6:13 pm
Hi let’s start with I’m new to burning coal. I just recently purchased a Alaska stoker 2. I love the stove and puts out good heat but I am burning through about 100 lbs of coal in 24 hours on setting 1 to 1 1/2 and that’s seems like a bit much to me . Also I noticed some unburnt coal in the ashes . I’m looking for some advice about maybe slowing down the feed rate to see if I can get a better burn and save some money on coal but I’m a little confused about how to do this any advice would be really appreciated ..thank you
Something is wrong as i have the very same stove and i burn about 20 Lbs or less at 1.5 feed rate. Or about 6 inches of the bin in back which is less than 20% of the whole bin. Dont get much heat at that kind of burn rate but thats what i use at that rate.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 10:15 pm

While running flat out there should be about a 1-1/2" band of all gray ash before any drops off into the ash pan.

Adjusting the travel or stroke can fine tune that up...but it is a timely process, so tweak and wait a spell to see what changed, repeat till running as should...

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Mar. 28, 2019 4:38 am

Ski,Welcome! Prepare Yourself for a Total Shocker! These Guys Rock!! Eh,Black Rocks,that is! But Seriously,even though We're approaching the end of the Burn Season,and Board Traffic slows down,Your still going to get what You need! Help Us to Help You by filling in Your Profile. As Freetown Fred always sez: "We 'ain't gonna steal 'ya! "
Geographic Area let's Us get on this,and You never know if there's a Willing Soul that might be able to help nearby. Tell Us more about Your Total Set-Up-flue type&size,stove maintenance practices,do You live on a hill in a valley surrounded by trees,do You have a Manometer,do You have thermometer devices to tell Us what Your stove and outlet temps are. On the Controls side,Your already getting feedback regarding Your usage rate.. sounds like something's "Rotten In Denmark" as my Old Man used to say. Let's do alot of learnin' and get this deal ironed out!

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Thu. Mar. 28, 2019 9:01 am

Ski fill out the following .What state city are you from .Insulation in walls ceiling .Good Windows or old .Manometer yes no .Good luck jack

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”