Feeder running while stove is off?

jjs342
Stoker Coal Boiler: Super Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by jjs342 » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 3:15 pm

Hello all. I’m new to the coal stoves of today. But anyway. I bought a house recently with a super magnum stroker by Harman installed in it. I believe I’m using way more coal than I should be. But then today. With the stove shut down. Has been since this morning and the dial in the off position I had my four year old come up to me and ask when I turned the stove on. So confused and skeptical I follow him to the stove where I hear the feeder motor running pushing coal into it. Any of you experience this before or have an idea which component is causing it. Or do they do this? Any and all help would be appreciated

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Where and how did you turn off your stoker? If just with the thermostat, it might be cycling with the timer or low temp aquastat.

A true shutdown turns off power to the entire system

jjs342

Post by jjs342 » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 5:46 pm

I did turn it off on the thermostat on the side of the stove. Mine is not hooked to a remote thermostat

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 7:37 pm

how much time after you stopped it? it might continue to run until it cools down enough

From the manual:
Turned to "OFF" won't shut down.
CAUSE:
Not enough time allowed.
Dirty or failed ESP.
Mode selector not truly in the "OFF" position.
ACTION:
Shut-down sequence: Minimum feed until ESP cools. Combustion blower should be off
unless fire is at maximum temp.

Remove and clean probe.

The status light will turn off when the knob is in the "OFF" position. (unless there is a 3
blink error code.)

jjs342

Post by jjs342 » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 7:53 pm

I shut it down this morning around 430. And this happened around 2 3 ish in the afternoon. But upon feeling the stove things were still quite warm. And doing some inspections of my own. I found a fines tray that was over full and must have been for some time. A combustion fan screen plugged with dog hair (I don’t own a dog). And a feed motor and what I would call drive linkage dry as a cork. So I cleaned everything that I could. Based off the other stuff I see around the house now that I’m living in it. The owners didn’t know anything about owning a home or a stove

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 10:57 pm

And a feed motor and what I would call drive linkage dry as a cork. So I cleaned everything that I could. Based off the other stuff I see around the house now that I’m living in it. The owners didn’t know anything about owning a home or a stove
[/quote]
That can be a double edged sword. Hopefully they never really screwed anything up, things are just tired like my house 37 years ago.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 9:16 am

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like a good cleaning and lubing will be needed for this stoker very soon! That should help get you familiar with all the moving parts and also improve its performance.

You mention being unfamiliar with the stove operation at this point so I wanted to mention the thermostat control is only part of what controls the firing of the stoker. I apologize if you already have a good understanding of this. Even if you turn the thermostat way way down, there is also a timer control that keeps the fire lit.

I am not familiar with the specifics of the Super Mag controls but in general the timer settings keep a base fire of burning coal on its grates for when the thermostat calls for heat. The timer control turns on the feeder motor and combustion fan for a length of time at a necessary interval. Something like two minutes of run time every 10 - 15 minutes is common.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”