Rusted stove, when to let go.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Mar. 05, 2019 11:32 pm

Knew my 33 yr old alaska stoker had some areas about to rust thru but when i went to move it out of the shed that the tree fell on, i noticed that the whole rear of the stove is rotted out around the chimney outlet, i gave it a few taps with a block of wood and there are some pretty decent sized holes.
the floor at my old place used to sweat all summer and then the roof leaked the first few years i was there so it didn't do the stove any good.

Looks to me like it would need both sides and the back and possibly the bottom repaired. Who is going to buy a stove like that? i got enough projects and i gotta be realistic of what i can do.

should i unbolt the hopper and the stoker and save the cast iron bits and the doors and scrap the rest or sell the stove as is for cheap? got my money worth ran it from 06-17.

when i put a boiler in i won't need the stokers and i have 4 of them right now.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Wed. Mar. 06, 2019 6:40 am

I’d say if you have 4 stokers already if you can sell this, do it ! It doesn’t owe you anything, and if your gonna rebuild the shed you won’t have time to fix it up b4 it is really too far gone.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 06, 2019 8:45 am

Scrap it L--I make it a point of never giving someone my headaches! UNLESS--they're in for a SERIOUS project. :)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Mar. 06, 2019 9:25 am

Yeah,I hate to say it,but it's shot! If you have a duplicate stoker in your current collection of 4,then keep the salvageable pieces,or put them up for sale here. Otherwise,if those pieces don't get the anti-corrosive care they need to stay viable,they'll simply add to clutter and become scrap too. I've been taking my anti- pack rat medication,and have noticed more freedom of movement around the house and barn!

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Wed. Mar. 06, 2019 11:46 am

Hambden Bob wrote:
Wed. Mar. 06, 2019 9:25 am
Yeah,I hate to say it,but it's shot! If you have a duplicate stoker in your current collection of 4,then keep the salvageable pieces,or put them up for sale here. Otherwise,if those pieces don't get the anti-corrosive care they need to stay viable,they'll simply add to clutter and become scrap too. I've been taking my anti- pack rat medication,and have noticed more freedom of movement around the house and barn!
My wife would love to feed me full of that medication Bob !! 😁😁😁

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”