Alaska Channing powervent

Bkuttru

Post by Bkuttru » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 7:50 pm

Hello

I am new to this forum and have a few questions. I purchased a new Alaska Channing Iii coal stove. This is a rear vented coal stove and this will also be my first time burning coal. I am removing a pellet stove from my garage and installing the Alaska in its place. I plan on using a powervent since I don’t have a chimney and I can use the existing hole in the wall except for making it a little bigger. It looks like guys are using the SWG-4HDS powervent to exhaust the stoves.

Is this the correct powervent I would need?

Do I need a certain controller for the powervent or is it just a manually operated Rheostat that controls the fan speed?

It looks like those powervents have a damper in them but I’m assuming I still need to use an in-line Berometric damaper with the stove still?

Thank you in advance!!

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 9:18 pm

i used a rheostat for a ceiling fan, works great.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 12:02 pm

There is a Safety Control needed installed in stovepipe before barometer and is wired in to shut-down the burner should fumes begin to back-up and start to spill out into room...odorless deadly carbon monoxide gas.
Made by Fields Control, part is WMO-1

Bkuttru

Post by Bkuttru » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Awesome thank you. Looks like Alaska recommends running the powervent on high speed all the time and wiring it into the three way plug on the back of the stove (just found this out today by the way) and the fume/safety switch was also mentioned so the stove shuts down in case of a failure like you also mentioned.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”