Alaska Kast Console 2 lighting

Ronnies
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console 2
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ronnies » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 8:50 am

Please help me light my stove. It is very cold in the house and all we have is 2 small electric heaters going. Stove was going fine until I started a new job and I am gone all day 2 nights out of the week so ashes build up and puts fire out.
I eventually get it running after 4 hours but don't know really how I got there. House always fills with smoke and soot everywhere.
I have attached pictures to show you what I have. Please help me step by step on how to light this thing so I can get it lit quickly with a clean house and happy wife.

Attachments

20190224_082149.jpg

Arsenal

.JPG | 309.5KB | 20190224_082149.jpg
20190224_081935.jpg

Grate

.JPG | 298.1KB | 20190224_081935.jpg
20190224_082017.jpg
.JPG | 139.4KB | 20190224_082017.jpg
20190224_081447.jpg
.JPG | 235.9KB | 20190224_081447.jpg

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 9:07 am

I use a brown paper lunch bag filled with about 1.5 inches of lump charcoal and a little anthracite. Roll up the bag and put the rolled edge on the bottom. Push it into the coal bed near the top air holes and cover with a little coal. I turn on the stoker and use a propane torch to light the entire bottom edge of the bag along with the charcoal. shut the door and wait until the lump charcoal gets going good. Add coal on top of the charcoal once it gets going good. Has worked every time. (Hardwood lump charcoal is the key to success with this method). Takes about 15 minutes to get a good fire going

Ronnies
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console 2

Post by Ronnies » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 9:22 am

Ok don't seem to know the lingo here. Is the stoaker the switch that let's the coal in and provides air to the grate? Also do I have the feeder arm to let more coal in or less when lighting? Where do I place the bag. On the holes or above it?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 9:43 am

First, Welcome.
Do you have working CO detectors. ?

There's a ton of info on here if you use the search feature. Here's a good thread for lighting.
Lighting a Stoker

Make sure all the holes are cleaned (drill bit works good to clean them out).
Is your chimney pipe clean? do you have good draft. ? how are the door gaskets? it shouldn't leak smoke into your house if it's drafting properly.

you should have the grated covered with coal, put the starter bag in the back middle down on the grate over the holes to get it going.

if the stove is going out after a period of time., something may be wrong with your feeder make sure its feeding. Ashes should not build up, they should be pushed off the end of grate.

not sure of exact setting to start but turn the feeder screw all the way in and maybe back it out 2-3 turns to start, you'll have to adjust after it gets going good.
Last edited by WNY on Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 9:44 am

Ronnies wrote:
Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 9:22 am
Ok don't seem to know the lingo here. Is the stoaker the switch that let's the coal in and provides air to the grate? Also do I have the feeder arm to let more coal in or less when lighting? Where do I place the bag. On the holes or above it?
1. Fill lunch bag with 1.5" of hardwood charcoal
2. Roll up bag and place rolled edge down right below the top set of holes
3. Light bottom edge of bag along with bottom layer of charcoal with propane torch
4. Shut door and turn on your coal stove power so combustion fan and feeder mechanism both run
5. Once hardwood charcoal is red hot, put coal on top to establish coal fire. (Might need to do this 2 or 3 times).
6. Enjoy new fire

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 10:35 am

Ronnies wrote:
Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 8:50 am
Please help me light my stove. It is very cold in the house and all we have is 2 small electric heaters going. Stove was going fine until I started a new job and I am gone all day 2 nights out of the week so ashes build up and puts fire out.
I eventually get it running after 4 hours but don't know really how I got there. House always fills with smoke and soot everywhere.
I have attached pictures to show you what I have. Please help me step by step on how to light this thing so I can get it lit quickly with a clean house and happy wife.
Welcome, I do this a little bit different but basically the same idea, I use an old can cut at about a 45degree angle open on top put about 1/4 of page of newspaper in bottom of can, add charcoal, a little rice coal and put can on grate over the holes, light paper give it a few seconds and turn on stove get charcoal going good and add more coal into the can the can will get cherry red and you’ll see the blue flames from the coal , you can then remove the can using gloves and pliers to hold it (very very HOT !) take it outside, watch your fire grow and give it time to adjust, if you have to you can pull down some coal onto the grate to keep the fire going

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 10:40 am

Pics of the can After a few times of lighting a fire the can gets brittle, but I found that with the can it funnels the air thru it to get a fire going fast ! Let us know how you make out

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”