Cleaning stoker glass

Eab91276
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Propane Insert; Heat Pump

Post by Eab91276 » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 9:52 am

I know this topic has come up before, but I was wondering if anyone has found success cleaning the glass. I have a Keystoker koker that is about 4 years old. I’ve had it for 2 years and the glass was cloudy when I took over. I’ve tried warm ash and newspaper, razor blade, ceramic cooktop cleaner, steel wool, etc. I contacted Keystoker and they didn’t have any good suggestions. I’m sure I’m gonna have to just enjoy the glow, but thought I would ask anyway. Thanks.

robb

Post by robb » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 2:36 pm

I have found nothing mainly because the fly-ash (from what I have been told) literally etches the glass.....So I took my door to a stove guy and for minimal charge the glass was changed...

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 5:41 pm

i use the glass cleaner made for stoker glass, it works pretty good, but over time it will discolor. my keystoker is 15 years old and still original glass. You can kinda see thru it when it's clean, but doesn't last long until the fly ash gets on it.
My Leisure line just cracked this year, but still using it for now. it was only about 5 years old I think.

leoman584

Post by leoman584 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 11:52 am

Ammonia and a straight razor blade. Just be careful to not nick the glass

Eab91276

Post by Eab91276 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 7:08 pm

leoman584 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 11:52 am
Ammonia and a straight razor blade. Just be careful to not nick the glass
Thanks. Do you spray the ammonia on and let it sit before scraping or do you take the door off and lay it flat while it soaks?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Feb. 21, 2019 2:44 am

I gave up years ago. It's in the basement so who cares. It glows red when it's running that's good enough for me. Ha.

Marmont

Post by Marmont » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 7:39 am

Hi! I understand that you talked about it a long ago, but I'm curious to know if you cleaned it. Because I have the same problem and I can't resolve it at all.
My wife and I decided to do a general cleaning of our house, and it turned out way harder than we expected. That's why we chose to clean only inside the house and call for an agency to do a home wash outside. But the part with the stoker glass slowed us down specifically. That's why I'm writing in an old thread, hoping for someone to answer.
Last edited by Marmont on Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eab91276

Post by Eab91276 » Wed. Aug. 11, 2021 8:33 am

I was somewhat successful with a razor blade and stove top cleaner, but it was still cloudy. Then the glass cracked last summer and I got a new piece. I tried to keep up with it during the season by wiping it with a dry paper towel each day while hot. Then at the end of the season I used the razor blade and cleaner again. It is clear but you can already see the etching starting all over the glass. That fly ash just beats it up!

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 2:11 pm

The glass just never seems to be completely clean. When the stoves sit off I’ll clean the glass with wd40. It will stay virtually clean. Once the stove is fired back up it will cloud back up. I also found new a razor blade will keep the glass clean for longer however when the glas gets beat up and pitted the razor just skims over the top and is rather useless.

Paul k
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska model 140
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Paul k » Tue. Sep. 21, 2021 4:56 pm

I use the stuff below, spray let it sit for 2mins don’t let it drip. Clean heavy stuff off. Do it again let it sit for a while. Wipe off. Use razor blade. Use spray again. Really wipe hard. After it gets really clean the I use invisible glass. I only do mine like 3 times a year.

Attachments

dcveem3
Stoker Coal Boiler: Someday!
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (temp basement duty)
Other Heating: Propane/Heat Pump

Post by dcveem3 » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 8:35 am

Thanks! Have to try that product...I use exactly the same process but use oven cleaner instead. Seems to work pretty well.

Don
Paul k wrote:
Tue. Sep. 21, 2021 4:56 pm
I use the stuff below, spray let it sit for 2mins don’t let it drip. Clean heavy stuff off. Do it again let it sit for a while. Wipe off. Use razor blade. Use spray again. Really wipe hard. After it gets really clean the I use invisible glass. I only do mine like 3 times a year.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”