Help identifying a stoker stove

szembek

Post by szembek » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 9:41 am

Is this an alaska maybe? The guy selling it says he couldn't find a name on it. I'm going to look at it tomorrow, but if anyone knows what brand/model it is first it would be helpful.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 11:10 am

i don't think alaska ever used a door like that. i could be wrong.

could be a triburner or a keystoker.

have the seller send pictures of the grate and stoker mechanism.

szembek

Post by szembek » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks, he's close enough I'll be taking a look before I bother him for more pics, although I should have asked initially. The door actually matches what I see on older liesure line hyfire's, but I don't see any with the stove shape as this when I image search. I'm just looking for a cheap shop heater.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Looks like the older Alaska Cast Console style, but a little different. could be a knockoff of semi home made. ? hard to say.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 6:37 pm

I am thinking Leisure Line.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 6:56 pm

That is a mystery stove. It looks very much like one of the old Alaska console stoves but the doors look like Leisure Line. I suppose it's possible that someone swapped the doors, just to make it interesting.

-Don

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 7:48 pm

wonder if it's a very early leisure line... i just never saw a leisure line shaped like an alaska. jerry did work for alaska tho....

szembek

Post by szembek » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Well for $250 the stove, along with 1/2 ton of rice coal is mine. The blowers run, the steel is solid, and the gear motor runs. Looks like it comes with a speed control for the gear motor, as well as one for the convection blowers.

The only ID I could find on it was patent #4,537,140 which apparently was created by a Charles Baker. This is going in my workshop, hopefully I can get it running good for my needs! Any advice would be appreciated, I have a keystoker in the house. Not sure if I need a barometric damper for this guy.

Ignore that white piece above the grates, just the bottom of a coal bag I had set in the hopper.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 7:47 pm

It's a Tri-Burner carpet feed type stoker. It probably is an Alaska. These are real common and pretty easy to work on so you did well!

Yes, you need a baro damper unless you want your heat going up the chimney.

-Don

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 10:24 pm

nice!

if you want better efficiency out of that unit, convert it to a separate combustion motor setup.

all you need to do is remove the fan blade from the stoker motor and add a 50 cfm bathroom vent fan for the combustion air.
that also allows you to run a digital coal trol on the stove.

szembek

Post by szembek » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks guys! That's great to see those mods. I think I'll see how it runs as is for now, that separate blower sounds like a great simple improvement though.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 8:23 am

search user Matthaus posts for mods on the triburner style of stoker. he is the one who gave me the idea and he even came to my house and gave me the fan and set it up for me.
(Matt is one of the leisure line owners now) i may have some pics of the setup on my posts too, i do not remember. if you need any assistance feel free to ask, i'll do my best to answer.

i tried other fans on my alaska stoker but they were noisy, i found that 50 cfm vent fan motor to be the quietest and only around 14 dollars.

the problem with the triburner stoker is if you lower fan speed you also lower combustion fan speed.

run the motor at full speed and use the adjustment on the stroke arm to adjust coal feed. you will have to adjust this manually to control temps. i used mine for 2 seasons like that then in 08 matt hooked me up with a coal trol. they are not cheap but worth it....it will pay for itself in a few seasons in coal savings.

szembek

Post by szembek » Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 4:20 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Yes, you need a baro damper unless you want your heat going up the chimney.

-Don
Can you elaborate how the damper will help with efficiency? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to understand it better. Is it that when draft is high (max feed) it will pull all of your combustion fan air quickly out the chimney instead of letting it stay in the chamber and heating the steel longer? I'm running it today just trying it out with the pipe I had on hand, and it's burning great, but anything that transfers more heat to the room would be even better. Currently using my infrared thermometer I'm seeing 450 deg. on the front just above the door, 150 on the top surface above the convection airspace, and 150 on the surface of the stovepipe.

szembek

Post by szembek » Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 4:22 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 8:23 am
search user Matthaus posts for mods on the triburner style of stoker. he is the one who gave me the idea and he even came to my house and gave me the fan and set it up for me.
(Matt is one of the leisure line owners now) i may have some pics of the setup on my posts too, i do not remember. if you need any assistance feel free to ask, i'll do my best to answer.

i tried other fans on my alaska stoker but they were noisy, i found that 50 cfm vent fan motor to be the quietest and only around 14 dollars.

the problem with the triburner stoker is if you lower fan speed you also lower combustion fan speed.

run the motor at full speed and use the adjustment on the stroke arm to adjust coal feed. you will have to adjust this manually to control temps. i used mine for 2 seasons like that then in 08 matt hooked me up with a coal trol. they are not cheap but worth it....it will pay for itself in a few seasons in coal savings.
Thanks that's how I'm running it currently, no rheostat, just adjusting the feed screw. I'm running it full tilt for now, hot coals almost pushing into the ash bin.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Aug. 03, 2019 6:04 pm

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short.... but the stove in the original post is a Leisure Line Patriot model. 90K btu with dual fans, one on eaach side in the back on the bottom. This stove was made in 1996 and 1997 I believe.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”